download and install softwares from repos when offline

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ganeshanair

download and install softwares from repos when offline

Post by ganeshanair »

hello everyone i was wondering if there was a way to get apt url links for .deb software files which are in software mangaer becouse right now i dont have have a net so i need to get deb files from an another pc and copy them to the archives i belive there is a terminal code to do that but i dont know ,and also get the dependencies needed for that deb file too.. so plz could anyone help me
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grizzler

Re: download and install softwares from repos when offline

Post by grizzler »

Sorry, but I can't quite figure out what you're asking. What exactly do you mean by 'copy them to the archives'?
What do you want to do? Download package files on another pc without installing them there and then copy them over? Or install them on that other pc first and then retrieve them from the cache?

You can install packages that were downloaded or copied to a particular directory by opening that directory in a terminal window and entering sudo dpkg -i * , but you would have to make sure all dependencies were available (either installed already or as packages in the same directory).
Another option would be GDebi, but as far as I know that needs an internet connection to pick up dependencies.
ganeshanair

Post by ganeshanair »

i belive u misunderstood forget about archives ,i ment the archies which are in the var folder if u use sudo to copy them to there u cant apt-get install to install them with out using internet anyway forget about that what i want to know is imagine there is a software i want in my pc which is in my software manager but dont have a net ,is there anyway to fetch the url of the deb files and the dependency so that i can go in an another computer and downlaod them then copy to my pc and install them by using gdeb,i heard my bro say there is a terminal code to get the url and dependency's url but he said he no longer remeber becouse he stoped using linux a long while ago
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

You may not be able to use apt-get without internet, but as I mentioned in my previous posting, you can install packages without internet access if you use dpkg.

Anyway, you can use apt-cache depends package (where package is the name of the package) to find out a package's dependencies. I'm not aware of any terminal command that also produces a full url, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was one, because that information could be gathered from the sources.list and the files in /var/lib/apt/lists (the files with names ending in _Packages).
Unless someone else comes up with the name of the command you're after, you could use apt-cache show package for each item to get the contents of the Filename keyword and append that to the url of the repository to retrieve the file.

E.g. if you wanted the Bless hex editor, the Filename would be pool/main/b/bless/bless_0.6.0-4_all.deb. The url of the main Debian repository is http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ so you could browse to http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/b/bless/ and download the right deb file.

Packages can also be searched on http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages (the "normal" Debian packages, anyway). Those pages should also tell you about any dependencies and provide links to them.

Edit: Just out of curiosity I googled "find package url Debian". Found this: http://linuxers.org/article/find-downlo ... ng-apt-get
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

ganeshanair wrote:...a way to get apt url links for .deb software files which are in software mangaer becouse right now i dont have have a net ...
The subject is called "Offline Repos, or Repositories".
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Post by titetanium »

Perhaps the OP meant this? Or if he has any .iso's to work with, this would do.
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

titetanium wrote:Perhaps the OP meant this?
That's what I thought initially. I've actually used such a setup myself when a cousin of mine with a slow internet connection needed a large update. Worked like a charm.
But on second thought I figured the OP was looking for something else and his second posting seemed to confirm that.
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Post by titetanium »

Is this what he was talking about? http://community.linuxmint.com/software/browse
pradhishkumaAR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pradhishkumaAR »

i think your best bet would be to use a similar install in another computer in the sense u have to have another linux mint install in another comp. Make sure that both systems are in same level of updates. Then install any software you want in the internet pc. Then copy all the deb files from var cahce apt and move it to the non internet pc. Then execute dpkg -i *.*. This should do the trick. Good luck trying.
ganeshanair

Post by ganeshanair »

thats what i do for now but theirs a problem me and my bro has same pc and kept right upto date but how do i know what dependencys to copy the software like texmaker for instance has like 30 to 35 dependencys when looked through console how can i know wether if some already installed and some not? becouse else i got to sit and find all them from the list and let me tell u my archive is very big ,i seem to see all dependencys with brackets and something inside some say (null) i think inside does that mean it already installed because i really need a solution to pic the right once to copy

Return to “LMDE Archive”