Missing CPU information

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Missing CPU information

Postby Zyzz on Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:43 pm

Hi,

I want to have an applet to select my CPU frequency for testing purposes. With my old PC the applet was running fine http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/70 but with my new PC the folders where the information the applet requires can't be found. In fact I can't even look them up manually as the info just doesn't exist.
I have an ASRock Extreme3 2.0 AM3+ Mainboard with a FX-6100 AMD CPU. In the UEFI I can set to run the CPU virtualized (To have multiple OS running on it at the same time or so?) but even disabling that doesn't help.

This folder should exist as I read: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu$CPU_NUMBER/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq` but it ends an /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu$CPU_NUMBER' ($CPU_NUMBER being 0-5)
Is this one of the things that exist with Ubuntu but not on LMDE? If so where else does this information exist? (I rewrite the applet then myself.)

A cpufreq-info gives me an error that no or a not defined cpufreq-driver is active. Does that mean that my CPU is not supported yet? Do I need to install something?

Any idea is welcome. :)

EDIT: I tried this:

sudo /sbin/modprobe acpi-cpufreq
but FATAL: Error inserting acpi_cpufreq (/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko): Operation not permitted
is the answer. :( I stop trial and error now before I destroy something.

EDIT2: Ah well I didn't stop. :p

sudo modprobe powernow-k8 did the work.

EDIT3: I put 'powernow-k8 in /etc/modules' is that correct or not necessary?

EDIT4: Seems to load automatically. Problem solved.
Zyzz
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions