Difference with regular Debian ?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jan_goyvaerts

Difference with regular Debian ?

Post by jan_goyvaerts »

To set things straight: My question is fair. I'm not criticizing the LMDE's crew's work in any way. So please, nobody gets mad here.

I've switched from the regular Mint to Mint Debian because I had to squeeze out every ounce of performance. By eliminating Ubuntu's intermediary. And I'm a happy LMDE user (apart from an annoying NVidia Twinview problem I hope which will be fixed in UP5).

Now, I have a colleague here who's using Debian (Test) directly. With the same software: Various Samba, Java stuff, Chrome, XFCE desktop and NVidia Twinview. Apparently without hacking his way in whatsoever.

Maybe he's wrong, I don't know. Personally, I expected this no-hacking-Debian thing to be LMDE's added value. So, apart from that, where's the difference ? Multimedia ? Better software compatibility ? Bigger repositories ? ...

Again, no offence intended towards LMDE here.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: Difference with regular Debian ?

Post by killer de bug »

I think you got an answer here : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 86#p616586

I would just say that Update Pack are increasing stability and offering new softwares in the same time compare to Debian Testing who can be a little bit more touchy to use. That's the big advantage of LMDE.
You have some mint stuff but the difference with a pure Debian is not big. The proof is that you can use Debian repo directly. It is maybe easier to use & configure LMDE over Debian for a beginner.
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

Right now it's probably not a fair comparison because Testing is frozen and not likely to break. But when testing is working like it should, things can break and the user have no idea how to fix them. UPs provide information along with each update, as well as solutions to problems that might arise.

Also, it's great for someone who doesn't want updates EVERY DAY. (For me, it gets old fast!)
jan_goyvaerts

Post by jan_goyvaerts »

Okay. Thanks for the replies. :-)

Well, I hope the Twinview thing is fixed in UP5 because I've already lost data due to the hard resets. Each time I forget to go to single screen mode before going to character mode.

Return to “LMDE Archive”