[Solved]Not the brightest button in the box - lost icons in

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[Solved]Not the brightest button in the box - lost icons in

Postby xircon on Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:19 am

Okay, I am stupid, I work a lot of shifts (I work with people with dementia) and yesterday's late shift was particularly hard, didn't get home until 22:45. I was trying out new icon themes in the early hours after getting home. I managed to delete /usr/share/icons whilst trying to delete an icon theme I did not like by placing an errant space in the path :oops: .

I have re-installed everything in synaptic that contains "icon", but I am missing the icons in the two columns of the right hand pane of synaptic, which makes it hard to use!

I have rebuilt the icon cache for all themes (but haven't rebooted yet).

Help!!

Steve
Last edited by xircon on Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dell Inspiron N5010 / Core I5 / ATI Mobility Radeon HD5400, LMDE Tracking Sid & Cinnamon Desktop
"Ubuntu is an African word meaning 'I can't configure Debian'"
xircon
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Not the brightest button in the box - lost icons in syna

Postby xircon on Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:36 am

Grrrr, I am going to have to re-install lots of programs who's icons have gone missing :( Re-installing synaptic and log out/in worked, so marking this solved.

Moral of the story, don't use the command line when exhausted!

Steve
Dell Inspiron N5010 / Core I5 / ATI Mobility Radeon HD5400, LMDE Tracking Sid & Cinnamon Desktop
"Ubuntu is an African word meaning 'I can't configure Debian'"
xircon
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions