upgraded to 686-PAE kernel - system freezing to death

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

upgraded to 686-PAE kernel - system freezing to death

Postby ale_ngr on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:56 am

fresh LMDE 201204 MATE installation, first thing I do is to upgrade to the 686-PAE kernel. reboot, and then the system freezes every time I log in;
seems that the network manager is trying to connect an unplugged wired connection, with obviously no results because there is no cable, and the system freezes in the process. only solution is to cut the power.
Tried liquorix kernel too but same problem (slightly ''better'', the n.m. connects ok to the wifi at log in if left alone for a while, but disconnects after about 10 mins trying to connect to the same unplugged cable and most of the times freezes again.)

stuck with 486 kernel and one cpu.
Please help

CPU[-Single core Intel Atom N455 (-UP-) clocked at 1666.000 Mhz-] Kernel[-3.2.0-2-486 i686-] Up[-52 min-] Mem[-306.1/2016.0MB-] HDD[-560.1GB(70.6% used)-] Procs[-133-] Client[-Shell-] inxi[-1.4.23-]

Thanx
ale_ngr
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions