Cinnamon on Debian question?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Cinnamon on Debian question?

Postby vayu on Tue May 07, 2013 6:44 pm

I can't find help, I'm hoping this might be the right place. I have Cinnamon 1.7.something on a recent (last week) Debian Testing upgraded to Unstable. It's working well overall.

The Gtk2 apps all look horrible. They take on the theme colors, but have a blocky hard edge look to them.

I've tried making a .gtkrc-2.0 file that pointed to the gtk 2.0 files in /usr/share/themes.
.gtkrc-2.0:
include "/usr/share/themes/malys-rought-dark-right/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
gtk-icon-theme-name = "MeliaeSVG"

I got desparate and deleted all but a few themes in user/share/themes. Still no luck. The gtk 3.0 apps look beautiful. Then open Iceweasal and yuck. I'm pretty sure the theme has the gtk 2.0 style that looks just like the 3.0. Any ideas how to find the culprit?
vayu
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cinnamon on Debian question?

Postby zerozero on Tue May 07, 2013 7:38 pm

you need themes with gtk2/gtk3 (3.4) compatibility
this is one of them >> http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main/m/mint-themes/mint-themes_1.0.8_all.deb
it's not exactly a random deb, it's included in LMDE's repository
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Postby vayu on Fri May 10, 2013 1:17 pm

zerozero wrote:you need themes with gtk2/gtk3 (3.4) compatibility
this is one of them >> http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main/m/mint-themes/mint-themes_1.0.8_all.deb
it's not exactly a random deb, it's included in LMDE's repository

Thanks. I'll try it. I hope that's the problem, I'm not confident though because I believe the themes I'm using have gtk2 in them. I installed the same setup on my son's computer, I don't know what I did differently but it's working with the same themes on his computer.
vayu
Level 1
Level 1

Postby vayu on Sat May 11, 2013 1:56 am

That didn't do it. I'm really bummed. I love this install. I have it set up so nice in every other way. Any other ideas?
vayu
Level 1
Level 1

Postby zerozero on Sat May 11, 2013 6:22 am

vayu wrote: I installed the same setup on my son's computer, I don't know what I did differently but it's working with the same themes on his computer.

check the gtk2 theme engines in both installs
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Postby vayu on Sat May 11, 2013 5:29 pm

Thanks. I hate that I gave up but I did, I'm starting over. Do you know if Cinnamon is setup with enough dependancies to be installed by itself on top of a net install? I installed Cinnamon on a Gnome installation successfully. I'm wanting to skip Gnome, is Gnome neccessary?
vayu
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions