Emacs fails with Font not defined error

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
rcjhawk

Emacs fails with Font not defined error

Post by rcjhawk »

I've been using Linux for 20 years or so, but I'm filing this under Newbe because I just installed LMDE 201303 to replace Ubuntu on my main Linux box. I left my /home directory intact, but let LMDE write over everything else.

Most things look fine, but what happened with emacs has me stumped.

When I tried to run emacs from the command line, I got the response:

$ emacs
Font `Ubuntu Mono 13' is not defined

and emacs failed. My .emacs file doesn't specify a font, but I deleted it and made sure that my ~/.emacs.d directory was empty.
Same result.

$ emacs -nw
works perfectly.

I didn't have this problem with my test system, 32 bit LMDE under VirtualBox. Of course it hadn't overwritten a Ubuntu installation either.

And I wouldn't have noticed this at all if the version of the Ubuntu Font Family shipping with LMDE included the Mono font (it only has sans). In desperation I did some searching and found the full set of UFF fonts at

http://mirrors.us.kernel.org/ubuntu//pool/main/u/ubuntu-font-family-sources/ttf-ubuntu-font-family_0.80-0ubuntu1~medium_all.deb

And with that Emacs runs. But this isn't an optimal solution. And I still have no idea why my system is even looking for that font. Does anyone have any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
elbendecido

Re: Emacs fails with Font not defined error

Post by elbendecido »

is a consequence of maintaining configuration files from your old home, maybe emacs load the user font config files located in .fontconfig folder.
rcjhawk

Re: Emacs fails with Font not defined error

Post by rcjhawk »

Aha! And I wouldn't have found it by grepping since the files are in binary. I think you are right, that's the logical place to look for such things.

Conclusion: When switching from Ubuntu to LMDE, delete every configuration file or directory which even looks like it was run on a Canonical system.

Return to “LMDE Archive”