Using multiple lib versions in Linux mint deb.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Xarin

Using multiple lib versions in Linux mint deb.

Post by Xarin »

So recently I've been trying to get away from Ubuntu releases and forks, I don't exactly like the way the company is going, and I want to dive further into Linux. Recently I tried a fork of arch and while I could get things going I felt like I was in a little over my head if I wanted to get things done quickly. Now I have moved to Mint Debian, I Love it even better then 15 as I will not have to re-install my OS every couple of months, and it seems much smoother and more stable.

Anyway I was wondering how I might go about installing multiple versions of the same libraries along side each other so that I can use newer versions for newer software that requires them. Right now I'm running libc6 ver 2.13, Splashtop wants me to use libc6 ver 2.15. I don't want to overwrite the old one as that would have a huge chance of breaking things.

Is there a way for me to have both installed and only use the later versions for the programs that need them. I'm not exactly new to Linux I've been using it for a while now and just recently set up a server. If you could give me a step by step for this one situation I should be able to apply it for other programs in the future.

My computer is a Lenovo G780
I'm using a 32-bit version of mint because usually I've had better luck with driver support.

Let me know if there's any more information that you need.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kurotsugi

Re: Using multiple lib versions in Linux mint deb.

Post by kurotsugi »

if the conflicted lib is libc6 then it will break almost everything in your system. you should not use libc6 other than the one in the official repository. instead of touching the lib it's considered safer to find older version of the software. you might could find one in ubuntu's ppa.

Return to “LMDE Archive”