Help, for Two questions please

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
merryoakparker

Help, for Two questions please

Post by merryoakparker »

Hi,
As you know I'm a noobie and am slowly switching to LMDE from Windows XP SP3 on my computer. My wife is concerned about the upcoming changes in Windows since upgrading to 7, 8, or 8.1 will necessitate a major hardware upgrade (new computer) for her. Mine is accepting LMDE and the Windows programs I have been using fairly well. We each have separate computers. LMDE should run well on her computer as my older one with a 1.4 Athlon chip and 1500mb of RAM run a dual boot of Windows XP and LMDE well.

Her chief concerns are:

1) Can she switch to LMDE and transfer her older computer based Outlook Express messages and files into LMDE? How?

2) Can she also transfer her Turbotax information into LMDE and use Turbotax on LMDE? How?

These are probably the chief problems in her dealing with a switch from Windows XP to LMDE or any other Linux Distro since she has well over 10 years of Outlook Express messages and message files and tax information on her much older Windows XP computer..

Thanks,
merryoakparker
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Help, for Two questions please

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi merryoakparker,
1) Can she switch to LMDE and transfer her older computer based Outlook Express messages and files into LMDE? How?
Your wife could install Mozilla Thunderbird on Windows first and see if that will import everything. [url=http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_from_Outlook_Express]This[/url] has info on how to do it. If that is successful you can read how to transfer the data [url=http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_from_Windows_to_Linux]here[/url].

I can't help with Turbotax. I don't pay taxes. :shock:

Return to “LMDE Archive”