External disk being recognized as 'sda' instead of 'sdb'

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
eback

External disk being recognized as 'sda' instead of 'sdb'

Post by eback »

hi,

Haing a laptop is Dell m5110 , recently i started ot try LMDE, it is indeed a great distro. I have a external usb harddrive (STBV2000300 Seagate® Expansion Desktop 2TB USB 3.0 Drive), this usb drive has always being recognized as 'sda', left the internal hardrive as sdb, although it seems not affects the system booting and runing, but when I access the usb drive, some stuff are missing, and some partions are missing too. so if I want to use this usb harddrive, I have to unplug the usb drive when I booting the system, after booting process then plug it. then it can work properly.

I searched some info, says need to change a bios setting to 'AHCI', I checked it and found it's already at 'AHCI' option.

thanks !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dwainehead

Re: External disk being recognized as 'sda' instead of 'sdb'

Post by dwainehead »

check the boot order in the bios as well, there may also be a boot other devices (or something like that) which will boot to other devices like usb sticks or drive, you may want to disable that for testing.

Return to “LMDE Archive”