Installing LMDE over Mint 13

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Eggnog
Level 2
Level 2

Installing LMDE over Mint 13

Post by Eggnog »

I'm running LMDE separately just to get my feet wet with it before I decide whether I want to keep it around. I'm kind of liking the idea of installing the OS once, get it where I want it, and not worrying about installing a new Mint upgrade release (Mint 17) in the spring. My question is this: If I decide to replace Mint 13 with LMDE, can LMDE use my /home partition without a bunch of problems?

I would, of course, back up the /home partition and also copy it over to an external drive just for redundancy's sake. Will LMDE pick up any themes and other such things from my Mint 13 installation? Or is using the Mint 13 /home partition even a good idea.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Installing LMDE over Mint 13

Post by passerby »

In my experience: yes, it works perfectly. Swapping between LM and LMDE while using the same /home partition, I haven't had any problems.
Eggnog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eggnog »

All righty, then. Thanks for the info. I thought it might but I wasn't sure because Debian and Ubuntu are not quite the same animal even though Ubuntu is based on Debian.
passerby

Post by passerby »

Well, I've never had any problems, but your mileage may vary.
I think you're only likely to encounter problems if some software packages' config files aren't compatible with the older versions that LMDE offers.

Return to “LMDE Archive”