Noob to noob guide on how to get trackpoint working

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Noob to noob guide on how to get trackpoint working

Postby mattdocs12345 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:07 pm

Okay, I have asked how to configure trackpoint and middle button scrolling in here and in Wilders Security forum as well. I don't think there was anybody who was able to provide detailed instructions. Each time I was referred to this site:

and this site

Unfortunately 9/10 methods in the above links are not working. They simply do nothing. Also the instructions are incomplete and assume you know how to access root directory, copy and paste and a zillion of other things that new linux users have simply no idea how to do. It is extremely discouraging...

Anyways...here is what worked for me:

1. open terminal
2. type in: sudo caja
3. go to directory /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
3. create a file 20-thinkpad.conf (I copied/pasted existing .conf file*)
4. paste the follwoing:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Trackpoint Wheel Emulation"
MatchProduct "TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint|DualPoint Stick|Synaptics Inc. Composite TouchPad / TrackPoint|ThinkPad USB Keyboard with TrackPoint|USB Trackpoint pointing device"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Option "EmulateWheel" "true"
Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
Option "XAxisMapping" "6 7"
Option "YAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

This will allow the middle button to work. To increase sensitivity and speed do the following:

1. open terminal
3. go to directory /etc/udev/rules.d/
4. create a file 10-trackpoint.rules (I have again copied/pasted another rule file*)
5. paste in the following

SUBSYSTEM=="serio", DRIVERS=="psmouse", ATTRS{press_to_select}="1", ATTRS{sensitivity}="255"

SUBSYSTEM=="serio", DRIVERS=="psmouse", WAIT_FOR="/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/sensitivity", ATTR{sensitivity}="255"

SUBSYSTEM=="serio", DRIVERS=="psmouse", WAIT_FOR="/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/speed", ATTR{speed}="255"

Note: you can adjust the speed and sensitivity values between 1 and 255. See whatever works for you.

I have made this short guide for new linux users. For some reason most linux guides are missing basic steps such as how to copy and paste with root privileges, etc... Others don't even explain what "/" means. I think this is a huge problem for people who are just learning how to use linux.
Also not a lot of people seem to be using thinkpads but for those few who do, this is what works on Linux Mint Debian. I have tested most other ways to configure speed/sensitivity/middle button but either they were completely noob non friendly or outdated.

*not sure if creating new text file and renaming it with .conf/.rule will work the same as using existing files, renaming them and replacing with the above contents.
mattdocs12345
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Noob to noob guide on how to get trackpoint working

Postby Linuxer on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:54 pm

mattdocs12345 wrote:This will allow the middle button to work. To increase sensitivity and speed do the following:

1. open terminal
3. go to directory /etc/udev/rules.d/
4. create a file 10-trackpoint.rules (I have again copied/pasted another rule file*)
5. paste in the following

SUBSYSTEM=="serio", DRIVERS=="psmouse", ATTRS{press_to_select}="1", ATTRS{sensitivity}="255"

SUBSYSTEM=="serio", DRIVERS=="psmouse", WAIT_FOR="/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/sensitivity", ATTR{sensitivity}="255"

SUBSYSTEM=="serio", DRIVERS=="psmouse", WAIT_FOR="/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/speed", ATTR{speed}="255"

Thanks for posting this. I tried it and it worked but not without a little trouble. I tried typing "sudo caja" and the terminal didn't understand that command. I'm using Mint Maya/13. After some research, I figured out that I could created and edit the file using "touch" and "pico" - maybe not the best way, but it worked and the new settings stick when I reboot.

Now the next question - could somebody explain what all that stuff means? (SUBSYSTEM, WAIT_FOR, ATTR, etc.)
Linuxer
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions