What can I stop on boot?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

What can I stop on boot?

Postby tlcmd on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:20 am

Advice, please.
My regular computer is in the shop, so I've drug out "Oldie." It is a computer made around 2000 and has a 1.4 GHz Athlon Chip, 1500 RAM (upgraded from 256), and a 320 Gig Maxitor HDD (upgraded from an 80 Gig one which died many moons ago. This HDD is partitioned into two 160 Gig partitions with Windows XP and LMDE as a dual boot. Obviously, Oldie is not very fast. I did go to my control panel and found a list of programs in the start menu, most of which I do not need. I only use this computer as a backup one, but do like to keep it updated just in case. I only use Oldie for music (jukebox) files which I usually copy via cd drive or via email attachments, browsing (Firefox), and occasionally writing documents (Office Libre.) The original cd burner still works and is separate from the cd drawer (no dvd on this one). I had to use Unetbootin to download LMDE from an external HDD. The only downloaded programs are Grub Customizer 3 and clam AV. I have not even run Bleachbit since I did a complete re-install of both programs following a Hard Disk wipe a couple days ago.

MY QUESTIONS: What can I eliminate or disable from the startup applications?
Any other suggestions as to what I can do to speed up Oldie?

TLCMD and Oldie thank you for any advice and/or suggestions.
tlcmd
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: What can I stop on boot?

Postby kc1di on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:32 am

here's an article in Community that may be of help it's a bit old but may have some pointers for you:
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/114
John 3:16
Morse code an Early
Digital Mode
Registered Linux User #462608
kc1di
Level 6
Level 6

Postby tlcmd on Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:53 pm

kc1di
Thank you for the reply. I am still having problems as I'm not quite that literate in Linux.

1) I know I will not be using Bluetooth, but from there on, I'm really not sure what many of the items listed mean. I will be using a printer, the audio, screensaver, networking, and wireless connection. But am reluctant to disable anything I don't know what it is. How do I figure those "unknown to me" items and which ones I can do without?

2) In following the instructions in the links I entered: udo gedit /etc/default/grub
Then my password and got sudo: gedit: command not found
At this point, do I continue the tutorial instructions or try something else?

Remember, I do have a dual boot with Windows XP SP3.
I know that this computer will never be lightening fast, but would like it to run as fast as possible.
Thank you for your reply and assistance.

"Oldie" and tlcmd thank you.
tlcmd
Level 3
Level 3

Postby kc1di on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:36 am

It will depend on which desktop you are using the command is
Code: Select all
sudo gedit
if gedit is install on your system.
it will be something else if your using a differnt desktop.
and the command should not have any : in it it's not sudo: gedit: just
Code: Select all
sudo gedit

Be careful with the second step just as it says in the article.
but this should shorten the boot time by a little bit.
good luck
John 3:16
Morse code an Early
Digital Mode
Registered Linux User #462608
kc1di
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions