Assistance please with Start up Applications

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Assistance please with Start up Applications

Postby tlcmd on Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:50 pm

Any help and advice would be appreciated. I am attempting to speed up my very old computer and in a previous reply to a post learned that the most improvement in speeding up my computer's running of LMDE would come with disabling the start up applications which I don't need or use. My computer is wirelessly connected to my home network and is primarily used as a music player and recorder (burning cd's), email, surfing, word processing, printing, and I like my screensaver. I know I do not need Bluetooth, but I'm really not sure what many of the other applications actually are and therefore which ones I can safely remove and not screw up anything.

I have already "enabled automatic login" and disabled the "Welcome Screen."

MY QUESTION: Where can I find out which other ones I can disable in the startup window in the control screen and not screw up my LMDE?

Comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
tlcmd (aka Dick)
tlcmd
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Assistance please with Start up Applications

Postby Merenguey on Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:40 am

By "speed up" your computer, you mean at startup or in use ?

At startup, I never really succeeded. The "no splash screen" stuff didn't changed a lot (less than 3 sec).

In use, you could use a small gui. Even though I like cinnamon I'm not sure that it is the best gui for an old machine... Can anyone confirm ?

M.
Merenguey
Level 1
Level 1

Postby py-thon on Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:29 pm

In your case I would definitely deactivate mintupdate. With the few updates coming in for LMDE you can update via terminal from time to time. According to system monitor mintupdate and its launcher use 18,5 MiB RAM.
mintupload is probably something you don't need either, but I don't suppose this will speed up your system as it is not an active process unless you use it.
py-thon
Level 3
Level 3

Postby tlcmd on Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:10 am

Thanks to all who read and replied. I was just looking for a way to make LMDE boot and run faster on "Oldie" my computer with a 1.4 GHz Athlon Chip, 1500 Ram, and a 160 Gig HDD. One of the main hassles is that it won't run Youtube. But this is a backup computer to may main, much faster one so it's not that big a deal.
Thanks again,
tlcmd (aka Dick)
tlcmd
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Previous1 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:31 pm

I'm running Mint 16 on not much better hardware (A64 3000+), but I've managed to make it run reasonably well. A few things I did that might be of use:

• reduce swapping
    Code: Select all
    echo vm.swappiness=10 | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf
    echo vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50 | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf

• disabled services (avahi, bluetooth, samba, netbios - not sure which ones you need for your network)
  • set grub to profile
    sudo sed -i 's/quiet splash/profile/' /etc/default/grub
    sudo update-grub

• use chrome for PPAPI flash + forced GPU acceleration
  • 40$ radeon for VAAPI acceleration with XBMC
  • use a custom kernel (pf-kernel)
  • tempfs ramdisk
    echo "tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid,size=768M 0 0" | sudo tee -a /etc/fstab

• preload