[Solved] How to disable UTC

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[Solved] How to disable UTC

Postby leeward on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:12 pm

My laptop have LMDE and Win8, so I want to disable UTC on LMDE. I know there's a solution which is add a setting "UTC=no" into the /etc/default/rcS. But I tried but there's nothing happen. Why? Is there any another solution?
Last edited by leeward on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leeward
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to disable UTC

Postby Fesiitis on Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:59 am

In /etc/adjtime change UTC to LOCAL. Reboot and change your facial expression from sad to happy. ;)
Fesiitis
Level 2
Level 2

Postby clfarron4 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:22 am

Another solution is to set the following in /etc/default/rcS

Code: Select all
 UTC=no
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.
clfarron4
Level 4
Level 4

Postby leeward on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:55 pm

Fesiitis wrote:In /etc/adjtime change UTC to LOCAL. Reboot and change your facial expression from sad to happy. ;)

It works.
Thank you.
leeward
Level 1
Level 1

Postby leeward on Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:30 am

clfarron4 wrote:Another solution is to set the following in /etc/default/rcS

Code: Select all
 UTC=no

It does not work.
leeward
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Orbmiser on Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:06 am

/etc/adjtime change UTC to LOCAL
/etc/default/rcS UTC=no

Just curious here. Why are there multiple places trying to set UTC?
Shouldn't it be a only one-thing changing global setting?

As always been confused and frustrated with the hoops to jump thru to get local time staying accurate.
Even using online time servers would set the wrong local time. And hate the whole UTC Why do we need it?
I only care about Local time being accurate. Seems like always a battle between Bios (UTC/Local) vs. Desktop (UTC/Local.
Seems like a clumsy convoluted overly complex way for something simple as setting the time.

VERY Confusing!
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Fesiitis on Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:47 am

Orbmiser wrote:Just curious here. Why are there multiple places trying to set UTC?
Shouldn't it be a only one-thing changing global setting?

As always been confused and frustrated with the hoops to jump thru to get local time staying accurate.
Even using online time servers would set the wrong local time. And hate the whole UTC Why do we need it?
I only care about Local time being accurate. Seems like always a battle between Bios (UTC/Local) vs. Desktop (UTC/Local.
Seems like a clumsy convoluted overly complex way for something simple as setting the time.

VERY Confusing!

No, there is no multiple places where change UTC settings. /etc/default/rcS UTC=no is old option which is now removed and no more works. Lot of user don't know this, so this option sometimes appears in nowadays.
/etc/adjtime change UTC to LOCAL is now the only way to change UTC to LOCAL time. As least I don't know any other options today.
Fesiitis
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Orbmiser on Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:25 pm

Thanks for the info and seems like they need to remove that upstream to minimize confusion.
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Postby clfarron4 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:27 pm

Fesiitis wrote: No, there is no multiple places where change UTC settings. /etc/default/rcS UTC=no is old option which is now removed and no more works. Lot of user don't know this, so this option sometimes appears in nowadays.
/etc/adjtime change UTC to LOCAL is now the only way to change UTC to LOCAL time. As least I don't know any other options today.

Ah ok. I'm using Mint Maya (13), which still uses that file there, not the /etc/adjtime file. So it should be posted on instructions for the releases after Maya that use /etc/adjtime that this change has happened.
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.
clfarron4
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Zill on Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:50 pm

Orbmiser wrote:...And hate the whole UTC Why do we need it?..

...Because the internet, and very many other global services such as GPS, requires time to be synchronized around the world. All these connected services need a single unified time to allow them to communicate effectively and UTC provides this.

As users we simply need to configure our PCs to run on UTC and then use the appropriate offset within the OS/DE to reflect our local time which, of course, is different around the world.

A further factor to consider is that while UTC never changes with location or season, local time does change with both location and winter/summer (DST).
Zill
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions