About to install LMDE, some questions pending

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

About to install LMDE, some questions pending

Postby percules on Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:50 pm

Hi all,

I am planning to install LMDE on my desktop and I would be glad if you could help me answer my concerns.

- LMDE is considered semi-rolling release. That means I am getting all the latest apps and security upgrades in time and others, like new DE version in updates packs?

- I see there is no more supporting for KDE environment.. What about KDE apps? I really dont want to go away from some of them eg Kate.

- What is the usual time betweeen 2 update packs delivery? 3 months? 6 months?

- How easy is to make it totally rolling release? Can I point all the repos to Debian testing ones?

Thanks ins advance.
percules
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: About to install LMDE, some questions pending

Postby killer de bug on Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:59 am

percules wrote:- LMDE is considered semi-rolling release. That means I am getting all the latest apps and security upgrades in time and others, like new DE version in updates packs?

Not at all. Browse the first page of the forum, and you will find the answer. It has been answered so many times...

percules wrote:- I see there is no more supporting for KDE environment.. What about KDE apps? I really dont want to go away from some of them eg Kate.

KDE app are available from the repos.

percules wrote:- What is the usual time betweeen 2 update packs delivery? 3 months? 6 months?

It depends. 8,9 months or 1 year...

percules wrote:- How easy is to make it totally rolling release? Can I point all the repos to Debian testing ones?

Really easy. You just edit your sources.list.

Bonus : look this : http://solydxk.com/
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. [Isaac Newton]
killer de bug
Level 6
Level 6

Postby percules on Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:29 am

I will take a look and come back if needed. Thank you killer de bug :)
percules
Level 1
Level 1

Postby py-thon on Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:21 am

killer de bug wrote:
percules wrote:- What is the usual time betweeen 2 update packs delivery? 3 months? 6 months?

It depends. 8,9 months or 1 year...

A bit exaggerated. Release dates were
UP7: 23.09.13
UP6: 19.12.12
UP5: 17.09.12
UP4: 05.04.12
UP3: 30.08.11
UP2: 21.07.11
UP1: 05.07.11
Let's say current time 6-9 months between UPs and hardly any updates inbetween.
Which means that they are less frequent than regular versions which are released every six months.
Tower: LMDE Mate 64bit - Netbook: LMDE Mate 32bit
py-thon
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions