LMDE Cinnamon Vs Debian Wheezy

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

LMDE Vs Debian

LMDE
88%
Debian
13%

Total votes : 8

LMDE Cinnamon Vs Debian Wheezy

Postby Zorba on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:28 am

I want to switch from Ubuntu-based editions distros to a debian-based one or Debian itself. The first name that comes to mind is LMDE. But i'm hesitant whether to go with dEBIAN or LMDE. I read here http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=debian that the latest stable Debian vezsion is Wheezy and I want to know whether it has any advantages over LMDE? Can I run Cinnamon on it?will I have any trouble installing drivers and all? Whether it is easier and faster than LMDE Cinnamon ? Please don't tell me it a matter of opinion and all! I don't won't an OS that gives me a headache to sort things out! Some distributions are readme-file like OSes and you have to figure out things easily! So what do you recommend LMDE or Debian? Explain! :D

Image Image
Image Image
Zorba
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LMDE Cinnamon Vs Debian Wheezy

Postby mmix on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:38 am

i was tried debian first, installation seems not easy as much like LMDE.
that's all, IMHO, LMDE is more user friendly.
mmix
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Zorba on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:42 am

mmix wrote:i was tried debian first, installation seems not easy as much like LMDE.
that's all, IMHO, LMDE is more user friendly.

Please vote!
Image Image
Zorba
Level 8
Level 8

Postby massexy on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:41 am

Well, if you want a user-friendly distro, that would be LMDE.
On the other hand, LMDE is based on Debian testing, not stable, and so, in LMDE you may get more updated programs. The only thing is that you need to be patient until Linux Mint developers are done with the different versions of the main editions, the KDE and the Xfce editions so they can work on the next LMDE Update Package. They come after every few months and that's a long wait for people who want the newest updates almost as soon as they appear in Debian testing (or Jessie, as it will be named when it becomes the next stable version).
Now, Cinnamon has been forked from Gnome and soon you will be able to have in Debian or any other distro. Right now that is a bit complicated, but when it is in LMDE, you can have it there too.
I would go for LMDE if I get it right that you don't want complications and if you are not too anxious about having the latest updates as soon as possible.
Best wishes,

Hugo M. (from Mexico)
massexy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Vdm17 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:03 pm

massexy wrote:On the other hand, LMDE is based on Debian testing, not stable...

Not so bad in my mind. LMDE is more stable than Ubuntu in any case. I use it on my home PC in VM as OS for web development and on work PC. Everything works very well (only one bad thing -> ejecting of usb devices have some bugs, and fix will come soon).

P.S. Sorry for my bad english - I am from Ukraine :)
Vdm17
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions