Questions about Linux Mint Debian edition

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
elieobeid7

Questions about Linux Mint Debian edition

Post by elieobeid7 »

I have 3 questions about Linux Mint Debian edition:

1) Is LMDE repo the same as Debian testing version? In other words, is LMDE as unstable as Debian testing version? For example, Manjaro is a rolling release based on arch but Manjaro is more stable because they wait like 2 weeks before updating.

2) Is there an LMDE based on Openbox?

3) Is LMDE kernel different than other kernels? For example, apart from arch which works on my machine flawlessly, I have to use nomodeset to boot, all the distros that I have tried, including previous Mint distros. I'm trying LMDE cinnamon edition, I have tried setting nomodeset, but it doesn't boot, which is so strange.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Questions about Linux Mint Debian edition

Post by xenopeek »

Split your topic into two. Your other question is moved here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=152391&p=793748#p793614

1) LMDE has it's own repositories. Several times per year the Debian testing repository is copied into the Linux Mint "incoming" repository. The collection of upgrades that are thus becoming available to LMDE users are called an "update pack". The "incoming" repository is used by LMDE developers, testers, and interested users, for about a month. Some packages might be upgraded or downgraded in that period to resolve problems found. Finally this is copied to the "latest" repository, which is used by all LMDE users. The intent of this is to make Debian testing more stable for the users on the "latest" repository (default), because a set of upgrades are integration tested at Linux Mint before being pushed to all users.

In addition to the copy of the Debian testing repository, Linux Mint also adds its own repository with packages (http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Debian). For things like Cinnamon and MATE, but also for things like Firefox and Thunderbird. Users will more frequently get updates from this repository, ensuring for applications like Firefox and Thunderbird that users have the latest security fixes.

2) The editions you can download have either Cinnamon or MATE. You can of course install any other window manager or desktop environment. As LMDE is a rolling release, you'll have to set that up only once.

3) LMDE uses the Debian testing kernel. For 32-bit this is the i386 kernel, working even on computers that don't have PAE support (but recommend you use Driver Manager after installation to upgrade to i686 kernel, as i386 kernel only supports a single core of your processor). As to your problem, this being based on Debian, probably you have a graphics card with a problematic driver. Some graphics card manufacturers (AMD or Nvidia or VIA) haven't always been/aren't good at supporting the open source drivers for their graphics card on Linux. What graphics card do you have? The more specific you can be the better.

Return to “LMDE Archive”