Sound suddelny not working any more

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Sound suddelny not working any more

Postby simplex on Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:15 am

Hi,

after using LMDE for more than one year and regularly updating, I noticed today that I cannot get sound any more. There is nothing I have changed AFAIK. I've tested all settings with AlsaMixer, they seem to be correct. Nothing is muted. I have an

Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)

in a Samsung NC-10.

What can I do? Is there a step-by-step instruction on how to test the sound device, speakers and so on?

Thank you,
S.
simplex
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Sound suddelny not working any more

Postby Monsta on Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:37 am

Install pavucontrol and check the settings there.
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Postby simplex on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:49 am

OK, this made my day! Thank you! Even if I do not understand what is so special about pavucontrol in comparison with good old alsamixer...

BTW, for every mp3-file-icon on the desktop, MATE shows me a little triangle in the upper left corner of the icon. When I accidentally click on it or slide over it, it starts totem-audio to play the file. I do not want this behavior, because I cannot stop totem except for killing it explicitly with "top" or "kill". Sometimes I accidentally hear three instances of "Paint It Black" :)
Does anyone know how to turn off this behavior?
simplex
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Monsta on Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:13 am

simplex wrote:BTW, for every mp3-file-icon on the desktop, MATE shows me a little triangle in the upper left corner of the icon. When I accidentally click on it or slide over it, it starts totem-audio to play the file. I do not want this behavior, because I cannot stop totem except for killing it explicitly with "top" or "kill". Sometimes I accidentally hear three instances of "Paint It Black" :)
Does anyone know how to turn off this behavior?

In Caja's menu: Edit -> Preferences -> Preview -> Preview sound files: Never :)
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Postby simplex on Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:29 am

Now you made my tomorrow! But one problem persists: When I right-click on an mp3-file and do

Open with -> Other application -> Gnome MPlayer and select "always open with this application"

MATE only opens it once with MPlayer, the next time with Totem Video Player again and again!? (Why video?)

S.
simplex
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Monsta on Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:37 am

Looks like a bug in the file manager. I suggest either reporting this issue on github or asking at MATE forums.
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Newbie Questions