[SOLVED] Install LMDE

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] Install LMDE

Postby ptyxs on Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:52 am

Hi
I just downloaded the LMDE.
I want to install it (and its grub loader, too) on a separate partition (say sda8).
When launching the install procedure, after choosing language and keyboard and filling some 'User infos', I am being suggested to choose between two possibilities : the first one speaks of installation on the whole disk (say sda) : "Install LM ont the selected drive /dev/sda", the second speaks about chroot : "Manually mount partitions"...
Which one have I to choose ? (I dare not try one, as I don't want the grub on hard disk to be erased).
Thanks.
EDIT I am a bit surprised to find out the inteface I just described doesn't features what I see on various Internet pages or on the french_iteractive_13.0.pdf manual.
Last edited by ptyxs on Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ptyxs
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Install LMDE

Postby austin.texas on Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:36 am

If you choose "Manually Mount" then you will get a screen where you can choose which partition you want to use, and below that, a choice of where to install GRUB.
Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon (64 bit), Quad core AMD A8-3870 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996
If you want to help Linux Mint with a donation, please visit http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php
austin.texas
Level 7
Level 7

Postby ptyxs on Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:12 pm

Fine, thanks.
However, the instructions coming with manual installation are rather obscure to me.
Is there any detailed tutorial available about this kind of installation ?
ptyxs
Level 1
Level 1

Postby austin.texas on Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:51 pm

Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon (64 bit), Quad core AMD A8-3870 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996
If you want to help Linux Mint with a donation, please visit http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php
austin.texas
Level 7
Level 7

Postby ptyxs on Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:31 am

Thank you very much for the information. I'll read it and try the installation again.
ptyxs
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ptyxs on Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:51 pm

Unfortunately, none of the three links you gave answers my question at all.
None specifically explains the instructions given for manual installation of the LMDE version.
In the past I installed many linux dsitros on my PC : Mandriva, Mageia, Ubuntu, OpenSuse, Fedora (though no Debian). But I never saw the specific instructions in the manual installation screens for LMDE. And that is what stops me for now.
So, I reask : is there any detailed tutorial describing the manual installation of the LMDE ?
ptyxs
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Monsta on Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:53 pm

ptyxs wrote:I want to install it (and its grub loader, too) on a separate partition (say sda8).
When launching the install procedure, after choosing language and keyboard and filling some 'User infos', I am being suggested to choose between two possibilities : the first one speaks of installation on the whole disk (say sda) : "Install LM ont the selected drive /dev/sda", the second speaks about chroot : "Manually mount partitions"...
Which one have I to choose ? (I dare not try one, as I don't want the grub on hard disk to be erased).

Don't worry, nothing will be erased immediately after you make that choice.

Select the first option and push the Forward button. You'll see a list of partitions. Right-click on the partition you want to install LMDE to (e.g. /dev/sda8) and select "Assign to /". Push the Forward button. On the next screen, where you have to set GRUB options, select "/dev/sda8" from the drop-down list. Proceed to the installation.

Side note: I hope you know that later you'll need to boot into your main system and run sudo update-grub so the main bootloader would be aware of your new LMDE installation.
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Postby ptyxs on Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:58 am

Thanks Monsta, that was the information I needed. With that the installation proceeded nicely.
ptyxs
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions