Newbie questions for LMDE

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Newbie questions for LMDE

Postby Svante65 on Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:48 am

I have been at Ubuntu user for years, but now I wanted to try something new.
I like the idea of a rolling distribution and the stability of Debian. So I wanted to try out Linux Mint Debian Edition.
I have tried both the Cinnamon and MATE desktop. I will go with MATE for now. It a little bit faster and seems to be more finish and stable and fully translated. And it doesn't break during update from UP6 to UP7.

Here are my questions:
- In Cinnamon it's possible to give users blank password and automatic login. Is it possible in MATE?
- When you install LMDE MATE you can add a picture. How do you add pictures to additional users?
- Is it possible to run Ubuntu One in LMDE?
- First time you press 'Menu' it's reacts slowly. After that it's very responsive. Why is that?
- What is the future for MATE? Based on Gnome 2 it's would be natural that Linux Mint will put more effort to Cinnamon, which is based on Gnome 3.

Cheers :)
Svante65
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Newbie questions for LMDE

Postby Monsta on Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:55 am

Svante65 wrote:- In Cinnamon it's possible to give users blank password and automatic login. Is it possible in MATE?

Cinnamon and MATE are desktop environments; login/password stuff is managed by the display manager. The default display manager is MDM, and its settings can be changed in mdmsetup. This is independent from any desktop environment.

Svante65 wrote:- First time you press 'Menu' it's reacts slowly. After that it's very responsive. Why is that?

Probably one of those still-not-fixed bugs. The menu (mintMenu) is not very actively maintained.

Svante65 wrote:- What is the future for MATE? Based on Gnome 2 it's would be natural that Linux Mint will put more effort to Cinnamon, which is based on Gnome 3.

I don't think it's the right place to ask. No MATE developer will ever see it here. This question should be asked at MATE forums.
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Newbie Questions