Can I use lmde repos to install cinnamon without non-free?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Can I use lmde repos to install cinnamon without non-free?

Postby rodgerfox on Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:14 pm

Currently, I use a debian testing system without the non-free repos. I'm using gnome3 that comes with debian, but I'd rather have cinnamon.

I am considering installing lmde instead of debian (I'd fresh reinstall just to sync with the update packs), but I'd like to avoid the non-free components that come by default with mint. I don't need codecs, flash, or any non-free firmware. I only want the cinnamon desktop environment.

Does anyone know a straightforward way to do this? Or do you have any other reccomendations?
Or does anyone know if there would be any dependency issues or unexpected difficulties with compiling cinnamon from source for debian testing?
rodgerfox
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can I use lmde repos to install cinnamon without non-fre

Postby Monsta on Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:50 am

Install LMDE with Cinnamon. Remove the "non-free" entries from the sources list. Remove codecs and flash and other stuff you don't need. Done.
You can use VirtualBox or any other virtual machine software to test this installation, so you won't have to delete your current system.
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Postby rodgerfox on Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:48 am

I guess that should've been obvious. I just wasn't sure if there would be any dependencies on the non-free stuff from other packages or meta-packages that I would want to keep. I'll take your word for it and give it a try. Thanks.
rodgerfox
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kurotsugi on Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:03 am

the cinnamon package itself AFAIK didn't depends on anything in non-free but the meta package did. the meta package will also flash and codecs alongside with cinnamon.

anyway, if you're not in hurry you'd better to wait until LMDE got new iso. it will save you from downloading a lot of package and avoid the danger of upgrading between up6 and up7.
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Monsta on Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:00 am

Yes, some meta-packages will be removed when you remove flash or codecs, but these are just meta-packages. Anyway, if you first test all this in a virtual machine, you can see everything for yourself and decide if you want to proceed or not.

I also forgot to tell you to read this thread before upgrading the system to Update Pack 7.
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Newbie Questions