(SOLVED)Dual boot issues???

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

(SOLVED)Dual boot issues???

Postby joemartin on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:59 pm

My partition table is below. sda4 is LMDE. At boot, I see Wheezy as primary boot option bot there is not LMDE. How can I add LMDE (which i installed on sda4) to show as a boot option?

Thanks for your help.

Gparted.png
Last edited by joemartin on Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
joemartin
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual boot issues???

Postby Derek_S on Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:38 pm

Hello Joe - Looking at your partition table, it appears that sda4, the partition for LMDE, is not flagged as root. This probably occurred during the installation. You could try booting a LMDE live session from your installation media, then using Gparted to set the flag as root "/" on sda4, and then follow the commands in this link to re-install and update grub. http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repair-re ... tNCRJAo45s
Be sure you understand the commands, you want to mount and bind sda4, the root partition for LMDE, then reinstall grub to sda1, the boot partition, and finish with updating grub.
Derek_S
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Dual boot issues???

Postby wayne128 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:48 pm

As Debian Wheezy is the default boot OS, you can boot and run Wheezy.

Then, open a terminal, do a sudo update-grub,
Wheezy should update LMDE into its grub config file, upon reboot, LMDE should appear in Wheezy's boot menu
wayne128
Level 9
Level 9

Return to Newbie Questions