[URGENT!] GTK+ crashes

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ObelixXXL

[URGENT!] GTK+ crashes

Post by ObelixXXL »

I have a backup of all my GTK+ themes from the last Linux Mint 16 installation. I decided to copy them to the themes folder of LMDE just to save time from downloading all over again. This is where things went wrong. After changing a control theme to one of my backed up themes, nemo exited, the screen became black. I can't even open the terminal windows (There was a quick splash but nothing happened afterward). I am still able to open a few applications like Firefox, Banshee, VLC, but other more important programs like system setting, terminal etc. are all inaccessible. What should I do now. I have just installed LMDE (and it was a really tough process as I have Intel ivy bridge processor). Give me a hand please :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: [URGENT!] GTK+ crashes

Post by Monsta »

Most probably the theme you've selected uses Unico engine, and you've been hit by this bug.

If you're still able to open Cinnamon settings from Cinnamon's panel (though I doubt it because it's GTK+ 3 again), go there and change the theme to anything not using Unico (like Mint-X, for example).
If not, the best you can do is to remove Unico from the system. Switch into the system console by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1, log in as root and run this to remove the package:

Code: Select all

apt-get remove --purge gtk3-engines-unico
Switch back to Cinnamon by pressing either Ctrl-Alt-F7 or Ctrl-Alt-F8 (usually the last one works).
If things are still broken, log out and log in back.

Return to “LMDE Archive”