firefox attachment options

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

firefox attachment options

Postby rmockler on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:54 pm

Using updated LMDE (MATE): In Firefox when I receive an email with an attachment containing a document (.doc), when I click on the attachment, my only option is to download the file. In Mint 13, I have options to either open the file or download it. My preference is the way that Mint 13 handles the situation. Can someone please tell me how I can get LMDE to give me options to either open an attachment or download it?
Thanks, Richard
Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE)
HP Omni 220-1050XT, Intel(R) Core i5 2400S Quad CPU @ 3.3 GHz, 6Gb DDR3 Ram, 1Tb HD,
AMD Radeon HD 6450 Graphics 1GB, 21.5" LCD, Beats Audio
rmockler
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: firefox attachment options

Postby GeneBenson on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:22 am

Hi rmockler,

Firefox and email? I assume you have a web mail account. Anyway, try this:
In the Firefox menu bar -> Edit -> Preferences
Choose the Applications tab
In the Search field enter: doc
Content type: Microsoft Word Document and under Action choose: Always ask (or whatever seems appropriate).

Hope this helps. :D
GeneBenson
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rmockler on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:34 am

@GeneBenson: You are correct about my web mail account. I guess in this current era of the Cloud, Snowden and the NSA that I assumed everybody used a web mail account. Since making the switch to Linux from Windows, I even do my income tax return on the web.
Thanks for your suggestion to my dilemma. With great optimism I followed your instructions, fully expecting success, but no banana this time. Really frustrating situation, all other file types that I have received in attachments offer the option to open or save except .doc. It certainly isn't the end of the world because I am forced to download first and then open the document, it simply doesn't seem that the extra step should be necessary. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Thanks again, Richard
HP Omni 220-1050XT, Intel(R) Core i5 2400S Quad CPU @ 3.3 GHz, 6Gb DDR3 Ram, 1Tb HD,
rmockler
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Flemur on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:51 am

It might be your version of firefox; I had one (v26? not sure) that would ignore my settings for mp3 files, and would always try to play them. With v21 it works OK.
Mint 16/Xfce/fluxbox, Manjaro/fluxbox, LMDE/MATE
Flemur
Level 5
Level 5

Postby rmockler on Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:16 pm

@Flemur: Interesting observation, my Firefox is also v26. I am certain now that the trouble is Firefox related, because I cranked up the Chromium browser, opened the problem email, and it worked perfectly!
Richard
rmockler
Level 2
Level 2

Postby palimmo on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:17 pm

no problem here.
LMDE 64bit Cinnamon
UP7
Firefox 26
aa.png
LMDE 64bit Cinnamon
palimmo
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rmockler on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:54 pm

@Palimmo: We're close in configuration, but you are Cinnamon and I am Mate. Don't know if that is the problem or not. Maybe someone else can post who has similar configs to ours.
rmockler
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions