Weird Taskbar Question(s)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tlcmd

Taskbar Questions

Post by tlcmd »

Assistance would be appreciated.
I am running LMDE Mate and on the left side of the bottom taskbar, I have black boxes where the Update Shield, Volume Speaker Icon, and connection symbols were. How can I change these boxes back to those icons. The date and time are still shown to the right of those "boxes" as before.
Thank you.
tlcmd (aka Dick)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Taskbar Questions

Post by austin.texas »

Try changing your icon settings to use a different icon set.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
tlcmd

Re: Taskbar Questions

Post by tlcmd »

Austin, Texas,
Thanks for your reply, my problem is that even though I've been working with Linux Mint and LMDE for some time, I haven't found where I go to change the Icon Settings in LMDE. Just point me to the spot on the menu or control panel, please.
Thanks,
tlcmd (aka Dick)
tlcmd

Re: Taskbar Questions I'm lost!

Post by tlcmd »

This noobie is still lost in trying to switch the taskbar boxes on the right of my taskbar to the original icons representing
1)Your System is up to date (back to the shield)
2) Output (back to the speaker icon)
3) Wired Connection (wire with plug)

I tried going to appearance and icones, but without any luck.
Assistance, please.
Thanks,
tlcmd (aka Dick)
tlcmd

Same old questions

Post by tlcmd »

I've posted this before and not gotten a reply which I really understand so please excuse my ignorance, but I need to know how to change the grey boxes on the right hand side of my Mate Panel 1.6.0 to their original icons, specifically:
1) Adding the Update icon to the "shield)
2) Adding the Output (Volume speaker) icon
3) Adding the Ethernet connection icon.

An answer to my previous post said to "Try changing your icon settings to use a different icon set." I found some under "Appearance Preferences/customize/ icons," but that made no change.
I've also tried changing the display on the log-in window with no results. So where is the place I need to go in order to change these icons?

Would someone please walk me through this?
I am running LMDE (Mate) 3.10-2-486 PAE.

Sorry to be a pest, but I really would appreciate some help here.
tlcmd (aka Dick)
tlcmd

Weird Taskbar Question(s)

Post by tlcmd »

Y'all,
Please bear with this dummy, but I've got some really weird taskbar questions and problems.

I've recently "inherited" from my brother in law a computer with Windows 7 32 bit OS.
It has a 320 Gig HDD, AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ 2.5 GHz. and 2 Gigs of RAM.

I partitioned the HDD into 2 main partitions of about 40% for Windows 7 and 60 % for LMDE since I am gradually switching over to Linux.

Using the same (and also a newly burned) LMDe (mate) 32 bit iso, I installed LMDE but it will not show the icones on the right lower taskbar for Update, Volume, and Connectivity, only grey or black squares. I even tried installing the 64 bit LMDE (mate) with the same result. Interestingly, these icons are present with 32 bit LMDE (Cinnamon)

I've previously done essentially the same thing (using the same LMDE mate 32 bit iso disk burned in late Sept 2012) with several older computers, the oldes is now about 14 years old with a 1.4 Athlon, 1536 RAM, 320 HDD and Windows XP and these icons were present on the right side of the taskbar.

Question: How come I cannot get the aforementioned icons with LMDE mate on this computer?

I'm not a complete dummy as I am a retired physician and usually can figure these things out. I do prefer the "mate" to the "Cinnamon" version.

Help, advice, suggestions, please.

Thank you.

tlcmd (aka Dick)
killer de bug

Re: Weird Taskbar Question(s)

Post by killer de bug »

Please stop creating new topics about the same things ;)

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&t=156349
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Threads merged
Same OP same question
tlcmd

Post by tlcmd »

Thanks for the replies, and upfront I did apologize for the repeated questions about my taskbar problems. Obviously, this is a very unique and complex problem and there are not any LMDE gurus who can answer or provide a solution to it. I will not post this topic again since there apparently ain't no way to solve it short of waiting for the next update for LMDE and/or getting a new or different computer.
tlcmd (aka Dick)

Return to “LMDE Archive”