What is LMDE upgrade policy?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
RacerBG

What is LMDE upgrade policy?

Post by RacerBG »

Everyone knows about the famous Update Packs of LMDE but can LMDE be used as "install once and forget it"? In other words can I install one version and upgrade to newer one without totally new install?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
noobest

Re: What is LMDE upgrade policy?

Post by noobest »

I am just a noob right now, but I think that many updates are security related, so if you didn't update, you wouldn't be as safe. = more likely for problems to occur. :?:
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

yes. as long as you continously follow UP you 'normally' won't need to reinstall. normally here means that you upgraded without any problem. in most cases the problem could be solved without reinstall but if the case is severe you might need to reinstall the latest iso or recover a backup.
herbie643
Level 3
Level 3

Post by herbie643 »

I might be frowned upon but I installed LMDE 201303, I believe that was the release, and about 2mos ago I changed my repositories to SID.
It was a bit of a challenge as I wanted to install gnome 3 and I had cinnamon installed but aptitude was great and all went well.
Since being on Sid I have had only 1 breakage. Now that I bragged I bet it breaks with the next update.
In any case, by moving to Sid I am now, in my opinion, on a true 'Rolling Release'.
Everything works.
The whole point of my post is to say that no more worries about upgrading to a new release or Update Packs. I run an update check at least 3-4x's a day.
As ZeroZero implies, I am on my own and not for the faint-hearted as if the system breaks, everyone gets to laugh at me.
Zill

Post by Zill »

herbie643 wrote:I might be frowned upon but I installed LMDE 201303, I believe that was the release, and about 2mos ago I changed my repositories to SID...
... I am on my own and not for the faint-hearted as if the system breaks, everyone gets to laugh at me.
Newbies should be aware of the Debian documentation on Sid:
The unstable distribution ("sid")

The code name for Debian's development distribution is "sid", aliased to "unstable". Most of the development work that is done in Debian, is uploaded to this distribution. This distribution will never get released; instead, packages from it will propagate into testing and then into a real release.

Please note that security updates for "unstable" distribution are not managed by the security team. Hence, "unstable" does not get security updates in a timely manner. For more information please see the Security Team's FAQ.

"sid" is subject to massive changes and in-place library updates. This can result in a very "unstable" system which contains packages that cannot be installed due to missing libraries, dependencies that cannot be fulfilled etc. Use it at your own risk!
Nothing more to say!

Return to “LMDE Archive”