[SOLVED] Dual boot LMDE 201403 and Win7

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
DarKlon

[SOLVED] Dual boot LMDE 201403 and Win7

Post by DarKlon »

Hi! I have dual booted and used Linux Mint standard edition for some time and now I would like to try LMDE/Win7 dual boot on my 5 years old desktop (64 bit amd processor, no EFI, 2gb of RAM). I tried to follow this instructions

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/04/23/ho ... -windows-7

(similar instructions worked for me with Mint Maya). I instaled Win7 and left some unalocated, free space for LMDE as sugested in tutorial. I started instalation of LMDE and i understand that i need to do a custom install and I got confused around this point. I selected Manually mount partitions (ADVANCED USERS ONLY). Instead of being offered to do a custom partitioning in GParted during installation, I got info about some steps that i have to do, and after pressing NEXT installation stopped with ERROR: You must first manually mount your target...

I admit, I am no where near the advanced user but I would like very much to try LMDE in dual boot. I learned how to do partitioning in GParted but I don't understand given instructions to manually manage partitions: ...mount target filesistems at \target..., ...chroot..., write your own /ect/fstab/.... I know that the likes of me are instructed to deselect Manually mount... and select Install the linux Mint on the selected drive but I am afraid that it will erase freshly instaled Win 7 and not install on unalocated free space? Is there hope for me or am I better of with next standard edition mint LTS? Thanks for help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jahid

Re: Dual boot LMDE 201403 and Win7

Post by jahid »

you just need to create a partition with mount point / and partition type ext4 and click next and continue ignoring any warning.
if you want to get rid of that warning too, you will need to create/add an another partition as swap partition.
and the most wise choice is to create another partition with mount point /home and partition type ext4...... (ignore this if you don't have much space available)
good luck.. :D
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

DarKlon wrote:I started instalation of LMDE and i understand that i need to do a custom install and I got confused around this point. I selected Manually mount partitions (ADVANCED USERS ONLY).
And that's where you got it wrong. That manual mount mode is for special cases - if you need to install LMDE across two or more drives or want to add encryption or some other advanced stuff. Otherwise, don't touch that mode and use the normal installation method.
DarKlon

Post by DarKlon »

Thank you for your help with this problem. Let me just check if I understand you correctly. Monsta, you are suggesting that I select option "Install Linux Mint on the selected drive" instad of "Manually mount partitions (ADVANCED USERS ONLY)"and Jahid, you suggest partitioning similar to what I read in mentioned tutorial. Is installation procedure going to open GParted after I select "Install Linux Mint on the selected drive" and let me do manual partitioning of unalocated space or I have to do it before install with live LMDE? I am installing from Live LMDE so it wont be a problem? I already have win7 on /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 and a lot of unalocated space and I am afraid that instalation might erase windows instead of letting me place it on unalocated space (i read somewhere that it happens to newbies like me often). Sorry for this simple question, but I would really like to avoid installing Win7 again.
jahid

Post by jahid »

You won't have to worry about losing your win7 if you do the manual partitioning by choosing the "something else" option during installation. And it's not that hard to do that, once you go there it will be easy for you. Just do whatever you want with the unallocated space and don't even touch the win7 partition, I think that will be enough margin to not mess with anything else...
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

You won't have to worry about losing your win7 if you do the manual partitioning by choosing the "something else" option during installation. And it's not that hard to do that, once you go there it will be easy for you. Just do whatever you want with the unallocated space and don't even touch the win7 partition, I think that will be enough margin to not mess with anything else...
did you rever to linux mint main edition installation?
LMDE is using different installer and AFAIK it didn't have 'something else' option. I haven't tried the newest installer yet because it's hard to me download that iso with my current internet connection but I think you could go with monsta's advice. don't worry. LMDE won't get installed until you verify all the information needed. pressing the first option didn't mean it will install it :3
jahid

Post by jahid »

kurotsugi wrote:did you rever to linux mint main edition installation?
LMDE is using different installer and AFAIK it didn't have 'something else' option. I haven't tried the newest installer yet because it's hard to me download that iso with my current internet connection but I think you could go with monsta's advice. don't worry. LMDE won't get installed until you verify all the information needed. pressing the first option didn't mean it will install it :3
what is rever? did you mean refer?
For referring, yes, i pointed out to that direction somewhat. I assumed that LMDE might have some option similar to that where you can delete and create partitions just like the "something else" option in main editions. I noticed that the LMDE installation, that is being practiced in this case is somewhat different by looking into the sentence:
Is installation procedure going to open GParted after I select "Install Linux Mint on the selected drive" and let me do manual partitioning of unallocated space or I have to do it before install with live LMDE?
there's no option "Install Linux Mint on the selected drive" in main edition installation process. I just wanted to direct him to the manual partitioning area, that i can see now been somewhat failed. But if there is an option equivalent to the "something else" then manual partitioning won't be that hard. If you, kurotsugi, know about something like that, then you can direct him towards the way i wanted to, on my behalf......please.... :mrgreen:
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

DarKlon wrote:... Is installation procedure going to open GParted after I select "Install Linux Mint on the selected drive" and let me do manual partitioning of unalocated space or I have to do it before install with live LMDE? I am installing from Live LMDE so it wont be a problem? ...
If you are in Live, you can create first (with GParted) two ext4 partitions: one for / , the other for /home, plus one more partition for swap. Then, you can proceed to install.

*I have LMDE in a dual boot arrangment with win7 in two separate disks: one for the C: (win) and / (LMDE), and the other for the windows documents and /home, plus the small swap partition.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

@jahid: sorry for that typo :3

AFAIK mint main version is using ubiquity while LMDE is using his own installer. your guidance doesn't work here since both the interface and the installation procedure is different. you should note that not everything works on main version are works on LMDE too. I appreciate your good intention to help but please be careful when answering a post about LMDE.
DarKlon

Post by DarKlon »

Thank you all! With your information and other tutorials on the web I have comprised this list of steps that should lead to dual boot and completely separate installations of LMDE 201403 and Win7 on a single hard drive (leaving Win7 boot manager to be responsible for dual-booting to prevent problems with re-installation and upgrades in windows department) without wiping out win7 installation. I know that main edition would be easier to install but I am doing it also for friends who need stable and long-lasting distro until next week, so cant wait for next LTS. When i test it and see if it all works I will mark this topic as solved.

- leave unalocated space after win7 install (or create it)
- start installation as usual and follow even-newbie-simple steps
- select "Install Linux Mint on the selected drive"
- if window pops-up: “No partition table was found on the hard drive. Do you want the installer to create a set of partitions for you? Note: This will erase any data present on the disk” select NO
- on LMDE installer Partitioning window select Edit partitions. It brings up GParted
- on unalocated space create new partitions (as an extended partition)
- under the created extended partition create logical partitions by selecting the unallocated space and click on the new partition button
- in addition to existing windows /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 you should have (logicals start from 5; you will set mount-points later, in LMDE installer)
/dev/sda5 /boot (log.part; ext4; 500 MB; long time use; it is suggested that kernel upgrades increase used space?)
/dev/sda6 Swap (log.part; ext4; 1000 MB; linux-swap)
/dev/sda7 / (log.part; ext4; 10000 MB; root)
/dev/sda8 /home (log.part; ext4; remaining space; home) alternatively some space could be allocated to /dev/sda9 as NTFS storage that could be accessed by windows and mounted in linux (automaticaly with an entry for it in /etc/fstab)
- on GParted click on the arrow to apply the changes and CLOSE GParted
- on LMDE installer Partitioning window select Refresh
- right click new partitions and select Edit to set the mount point and file system format as described (ext4; Do not format the swap partition, just mount it as swap)
- click Forward to continue with the rest of the installation
- the boot loader GRUB is by default installed on the Master Boot Record and for this customization it should be changed to /dev/sda5 (/boot; the first logical partition)
- continue with instalation... and reboot
- system will reboot into Windows 7 so use EasyBCD windows program to ad new entry to windows boot loader: Add New Entry button -> Linux/BSD tab -> Type Grub2 -> Add Entry ->select default os to boot -> Save Settings -> exit EasyBCD
- system will reboot into Windows 7 boot manager with option to load LMDE

Somebody might hate to go through Win7 boot manager and GRUB to start LMDE, and some might like the opportunity to "change their mind" and go to win 7 from GRUB (you can set defaults to your preferred OS and just wait it out). I like the idea that I can do upgrades and re-installations of win7 OS without messing up GRUB. LMDE is great for its stability, security, updates, user-friendliness and long-lasting -semi rolling install. It seems to me that it is perfect (almost) trouble free Linux to install and have little worries about it. It would be grate to have installer that recognizes other OS on system and automatizes install procedure so that install process is more newbie friendly (please, don't direct me to the main edition because LMDE has quite few advantages over it and it seams to be uniquely stable as semi rolling edition and you don't need to settle for LTS if you want long-lasting system without reinstalls).
DarKlon

Re: [SOLVED] Dual boot LMDE 201403 and Win7

Post by DarKlon »

Just made few corrections and marked it SOLVED. It works like a charm. Hope it helps others.

Return to “LMDE Archive”