"Unclaimed register" error during system boot

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

"Unclaimed register" error during system boot

Postby ku3i on Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi Folks,

I freshly installed LMDE and noticed the Error: "[drm:ivybridge_irq_handler] *ERROR* Unclaimed register before interrupt" twice during system boot.
Any recommendation how to search for the root of the problem?

Thanks and kind regards
ku3i
ku3i
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: "Unclaimed register" error during system boot

Postby xenopeek on Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:02 pm

Moved here as this is about LMDE and not about the main edition.

You would do an Internet search for that exact string you posted here, "[drm:ivybridge_irq_handler] *ERROR* Unclaimed register before interrupt". See if anybody else that has reported a problem that includes this message has something that matches up with your hardware. Try to focus on more recent messages. Anything older than 6 months is probably useless. Don't do a forum search--do an Internet search.

The error indicates a problem with your Ivy Bridge generation Intel CPU.

I've only spotted one other problem that seems to be related to yours: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1286192. If you also have a Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 14 notebook, or close to it?

LMDE now has a new enough kernel that you should normally not expect any problems with Ivy Brigde generation Intel CPUs. But notebook manufacturers are know to make life complicated :|
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Ubulindy on Thu May 29, 2014 11:02 pm

I get that same exact error upon every boot. Ive just been ignoring it because my system is stable. Both cpu ( i7 ) and gpu ( nVidia gtx 770m ) work as expected. If you find a solution though, please let me know. BTW, mine is an MSI GT60. I had a look at that link, my system has never locked up.
“When the government’s boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence.”
Ubulindy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby robire on Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:29 am

I'm using Intel NUC i3 processor, installed Linux Mint a few days ago and got the same message, actually I got it twice, so 2 rows with the same message.
robire
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gebeer on Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:45 am

Hello,

same problem here on a brandnew LMDE 201403 install.
My machine: cirrus7 nimbus
Board: Asus Q87T
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690T CPU @ 2.50GHz
Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)

Would really like to get rid off this message. What should we do? File a bug report?
gebeer
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions