On-line Banking with LMDE

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

On-line Banking with LMDE

Postby merryoakparker on Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:39 pm

Is anyone using LMDE for on-line banking? I've found that most banks, credit Unions, etc seem to only work with a Windows IE browser. If anyone is using LMDE for on-line financial servicies, how do you do it.
Thanks
merryoakparker
merryoakparker
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: On-line Banking with LMDE

Postby gtsfer on Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:54 pm

I do, and without any trouble running LMDE myself. Make sure you run the Iced-Tea-Web-Control Panel utility after install. Just click through it and do "OK". Make sure in Firefox Add-ons that this is enabled and running. Try clearing cache and cookies too. I've never had a problem with banking or any other website for that matter.
There is no gravity, the earth sucks. [Newton's Fourth Law]
LMDE 64-bit MATE Edition. Please edit your first post and add SOLVED to the Subject if you get it resolved.
gtsfer
Level 6
Level 6

Postby daveinuk on Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:03 pm

I use online banking all the time with mint/firefox with extensions etc, but I'm not using any sort of debian edition, are you sure it's the DE causing the problem and what exactly is happening? It'd be ironic for one of the worst browsers around to be the most compatible for something like banking lol :roll:
Lenovo ThinkPad T61 LM16-64 bit Intel T7500/2.2GHz/Cinammon 1.8 Intel GM965. Toshiba Satellite M70: LM16-32bit. Desktop:LM13 Maya 64 bit, on new Intel 3.2ghz proc/asus MB/8gb RAM
daveinuk
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Neil Edmond on Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:07 pm

I too use LMDE, and have not noticed any problems with on-line banking. I access three differents banks, and several credit card accounts every month using Firefox.
Neil Edmond
Level 3
Level 3

Postby py-thon on Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:09 pm

I've been using Opera for online-banking in Germany for about ten years now. No problem at all. I only have to ensure that the bank's server(s) are allowed to set cookies which I normally don't. Neither Iced Tea nor some other kind of Java is enabled for the banksters.
Edit: The first years were with Win XP, but for three years now it's Linux, the last two of them LMDE.
Tower: LMDE Mate 64bit - Netbook: LMDE Mate 32bit
py-thon
Level 4
Level 4

Postby xfrank on Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:37 pm

I use regularly LMDE for banking (with Firefox). Zero issues. Better than windows (more secure, faster...).
Linux: LMDE (Mate), Mint13 (Xfce), Peppermint 3 (LXDE), Manjaro (Xfce), Point Linux (Mate), PCLinuxOS (Mate)
xfrank
Level 4
Level 4

Postby killer de bug on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:08 am

I use LMDE and Firefox for my on line banking without any trouble ;)
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. [Isaac Newton]
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7

Postby GeneC on Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:26 pm

If your bank will only recognize MS "Internet Explorer" .. :x ...(some do)
There are extensions for Chrome/Chromium and Firefox that simulate them as IE.

In Chrome.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... d?hl=en-US

and

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... hfjgkhfcgf

Switches User-Agent strings to mimic, spoof or fake other browsers or bots.
The User Agent Switcher changes your user agent to spoof other devices and/or browsers. You can put on your IE hat and slip past virtual bouncers into Internet Explorer-only websites; blend in as an iPhone or see how sites render when they think you're Google's search spider.................

Personally I do not use Firefox. You will have to find those yourself... :wink:
GeneC

AMD Phenom2x4 3.2 ghz, 12GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 460

Qiana (Cinnamon/XFCE)
Sparky XFCE (Debian Testing)
Sparky Cin 2.2 (SID)
OpenSUSE 13.1 (Gnome)
Evolve OS (Budgie)
GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Oxihjen on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:34 pm

Using iceweasel/firefox, midori, chrome and safari on multiple devices for 2 different banks without issues. Please don't tell me they use some kind of MS activeX thingie over at yours?:o
Maybe the support/faq on the banking websites can tell you more.
Oxihjen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ron_h on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:51 pm

I stopped using IE on my Windows XP system a couple of years ago when one of my banks made IE 9 the minimum level supported, and XP could only have IE 8. I made Firefox my default browser at that time. I have had no problems with online banking for several banks and a credit union with Firefox (which I keep up-to-date) from Windows XP. I have just installed LMDE 201403 Cinnamon and so far have had no problems using Firefox for online banking. I did not change the Firefox setup from what was installed as part of LMDE.

Ron
ron_h
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Crewp on Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:53 am

merryoakparker wrote:Is anyone using LMDE for on-line banking? I've found that most banks, credit Unions, etc seem to only work with a Windows IE browser. If anyone is using LMDE for on-line financial servicies, how do you do it.
Thanks
merryoakparker

Yes Merryoakparker, I use LMDE with the firefox browser, and no trouble here either. I don't think it's an OS issue as much as a browser issue. Check your bank's website for system requirements and get back to us with more detail.
Crewp
Level 5
Level 5

Postby xieu90 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:03 am

No Problem with online banking.
but not sure if heartbleed problem is there or not. at least money in bank is still there until now :D
xieu90
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions