How to look at wine-doc documentation on LMDE PC ? [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

How to look at wine-doc documentation on LMDE PC ? [SOLVED]

Postby ron_h on Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:41 am

I installed LMDE 201403 Cinnamon a few days ago and am very pleased with it. It's the first time I have actually tried to use Linux, previously I played with various distributions a little bit over the years but never got as far as actually using them. I'm using LMDE to supplement and eventually replace a Win XP system. So far (nearly) everything is working well (as best I can tell). I have installed some more apps including Wine. I have a couple of simple Windows apps now working just fine - using the documentation on the Wine website. By the way, I do realise that Wine from the repository used by LMDE is very back level, but I think I can live with that.

In order (I hope) to have some Wine documentation that more or less matches the Wine I installed, I have installed the wine-doc package as well (using the Synaptic Package Manager). I have no idea how I can access this documentation on the PC. I can see using Files there is a directory /usr/share/doc/wine-doc and it contains some subdirectories and files. But I have no icon on my desktop or within any of the groups on the Menu which allows me to access this documentation. Nor do I know what program I need to invoke to access this documentation.

What do I need to do to actually look at (and use) the information provided by the wine-doc package ?

Ron
Last edited by ron_h on Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ron_h
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to look at wine-doc documentation on LMDE PC ?

Postby gtsfer on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:15 am

I installed the win-doc package too and had to hunt these down via Synaptic Package Manager by looking at the "installed files" tab.

There's a set of three sub-folders in /usr/share/doc/wine-doc/html. Each one has an index.html file you can open with Firefox or any browser. Start with the one in /usr/share/doc/wine-doc/html/wineusr. You can always make a desktop shortcut to it or add one right in your Mint menu somewhere if you want.
There's no Windows in my house. And it's a brighter and happier place now.
LMDE Mate, Cinnamon 17, KDE 17, Debian 7.6.0. Edit your first post and add SOLVED to the Subject if it's resolved.
gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How to look at wine-doc documentation on LMDE PC ?

Postby ron_h on Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:21 pm

Many thanks. So simple - I should really have thought of that :(

Another possibility is to add it to Bookmarks in Firefox, which is what I've done

Ron
ron_h
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions