Sorry to say that the HL-2130 is NOT recognised by LMDE when I plug it in. That is why after finding elsewhere in these forums there were people with similar problems with Brother printers, I ended up going to the Brother website which says (in effect) this printer is supported on Windows and Mac, but there is also a way to get it to work in Linux.
See http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... &type3=625
to get the Linux-brprinter-installer script.
I had a look at the Properties for the HL-2130 after I had run the Brother installer script (and jobs sent to the HL-2130 didn't print). The field 'Device URI' did not reference the HL-2130, but instead the USB-connect HP inkjet printer I had installed first (the format of what was in the 'Device URI' field was not identical to the same field in the HP printer Properties, but it contained the same HP model number and serial number). I don't know enough to change the 'Device URI' field directly, so I decided a start-over would be a good idea. I thought (from the evidence) that it was possible the Brother installer script would only work correctly if the HL-2130 was the first USB printer to be installed. I deleted the HP printer, disconnected it, then deleted the HL-2130 printer. I then removed the packages for the HL-2130 using Synaptic Package Manager. Just to be cautious, I then rebooted. After restart, I re-ran the Brother installer script. The test page from the script processing failed, which was a bit of a worry. However when I looked at Printers again, there was the HL-2130 re-installed. The 'Device URI' field now referenced the HL-2130. And when I asked for a test page from Properties, it printed just fine. I then reconnected the HP, and printed a test page on it as well.
My suggestion to anyone having trouble installing a Brother printer using the Linux-brprinter-installer script from the Brother website, is to delete any other USB printer (and disconnect it) then re-run the script. YMMV