Using Firefox ESR

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Using Firefox ESR

Postby woodsman on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:12 pm

We just started using LMDE, fully updated. Quite pleased but we are very new to Debian and Mint.

We would like to use Firefox ESR. I would appreciate a link to a good how-to for how that is done in Mint.

My apologies for my poor search skiils.

Thanks. :)
woodsman
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Using Firefox ESR

Postby GeneBenson on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:44 pm

Hi woodsman,

You can get the latest Firefox ESR (24.4.0) here.
Just make sure you get the correct one, 32 or 64 bit. Download it and unpack it (it's one folder) in the same place you downloaded it to.
In a separate file manager window navigate to /opt and open it as Root. Rename the firefox folder there, then copy the unpacked firefox folder and paste it into /opt.

To prevent Firefox from being updated enter the following in a terminal: sudo apt-mark hold firefox
If ever want to undo the hold command use: sudo apt-mark unhold firefox

That's it. :D
GeneBenson
Level 3
Level 3

Postby woodsman on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:19 pm

You can get the latest Firefox ESR (24.4.0) here.
Just make sure you get the correct one, 32 or 64 bit. Download it and unpack it (it's one folder) in the same place you downloaded it to.
In a separate file manager window navigate to /opt and open it as Root. Rename the firefox folder there, then copy the unpacked firefox folder and paste it into /opt.

Ah, so the replacement process is 100% manual?

Are there reasons why you suggest renaming the existing directory rather than remove with the package manager?

To prevent Firefox from being updated enter the following in a terminal: sudo apt-mark hold firefox
If ever want to undo the hold command use: sudo apt-mark unhold firefox

Thanks. Is that the same as using Lock in Synaptic?
woodsman
Level 4
Level 4

Postby GeneBenson on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:17 pm

Hi woodsman,
Ah, so the replacement process is 100% manual?

Yes.
Are there reasons why you suggest renaming the existing directory rather than remove with the package manager?

If you remove it with the package manager then the system will not know you have replaced it manually. It won't show up in the Menu anymore. nor in preferred applications. Basically, if you remove it you are just making more work for yourself. All of this can be overcome, but I'm just lazy. :wink:
Is that the same as using Lock in Synaptic?

No, it's not. You should do that as well if you ever use Synaptic to update the system.
GeneBenson
Level 3
Level 3

Postby kurotsugi on Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:54 pm

you can also grab firefox's deb from another distro :3
now I'm using the one from solydxk repo.
Code: Select all
# first of all, add this repo into your repo list
deb http://packages.solydxk.com/testing/ solydxk main upstream import kdenext
#after that, in your terminal run
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install firefox-esr
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions