Disable password-prompt when installing updates

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Disable password-prompt when installing updates

Postby p2pman on Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:57 am

Is it possible? I don't want to disable the password-prompt when installing new applications, just when installing updates since system administrator may not always be around and if updates can't be installed that makes system less secure.
p2pman
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Disable password-prompt when installing updates

Postby py-thon on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:15 am

Think about the frequency of updates in LMDE and consider whether this "problem" really exists.
In a more direct answer to your question: I don't think it is possible because Mint's Update Manager, Software Manager and Package Manager (synaptic) all rely on apt. They are more or less GUIs for apt.
But maybe some user here can think of a way. I hope no one does because in my opinion that would be a vulnerability.
Tower: Sparky 64 bit Mate+mintmenu - Netbook: LMDE Mate 32bit
py-thon
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Disable password-prompt when installing updates

Postby turtlebay777 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:00 am

Asking for the root password is one of the best ways a Linux system has of making sure only authenticated progams and updates are installed. That was the major problem with Windows, anyone from outside the computer could access the system (in the form of viruses, trojans, worms and malware).
turtlebay777
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions