Linux, partitions, and partition tables [Solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Linux, partitions, and partition tables [Solved]

Postby AlanWalker on Tue May 06, 2014 1:51 am

As an exercise (and to scratch an itch) I am thinking of resizing /, moving swap, and resizing /home on an LMDE system that has a single hard disk.

I think I may be able to do this working in a directory off root using tar, gparted, and sfdisk, but to do that I think it would be nice to know if Linux will be using a shadow in ram of sda's partition table while I alter the partition table on sda; does anyone know if Linux uses ram shadows of partition tables while running?

TIA,
Last edited by AlanWalker on Tue May 06, 2014 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlanWalker
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux, partitions, and partition tables

Postby wayne128 on Tue May 06, 2014 2:05 am

I don't know how to answer your question.

However, when I partition the hard disk, I usually would run gparted from a Live DVD or a Live USB, when run in Live mode, I have total freedom to do all partitioning.

One very important thing to note, partitioning has a risk of making any partition OS unbootable and any partition data lost.
Some people may even corrupt their partition table so much as that they cannot access anything in the drive..

So, backup your important data and important OS partition ( that you want to keep) to external media, then you have a restore path.
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Linux, partitions, and partition tables [Solved]

Postby AlanWalker on Tue May 06, 2014 9:06 am

Thanks for your reply Wayne.

I've decided against doing the exercise; it would be interesting to see if I could manage my laptop in that way (I think it can safely be done) but there are other issues involved.

Thanks again,
AlanWalker
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions