Disable Bluetooth ? [SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Disable Bluetooth ? [SOLVED]

Post by ron_h »

LMDE 201403 Cinnamon 64bit

I have seen elsewhere in these forums a recommendation (actually for Mint 13) to disable Bluetooth with the menu/GUI ("Startup Applications") which is what I want to do. I know how to set up a new startup item but It is not obvious to me what command(s) to put in such an item to disable Bluetooth. Can someone please help ?

Ron

| sadly, SOLVED means using rc.local rather than the menu/GUI Startup applications
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Disable Bluetooth ?

Post by Kalyk »

This post http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=160478 and others suggest doing

Code: Select all

sudo service bluetooth stop
sudo rfkill block bluetooth
Probably any of the two commands will stop bluetooth from operating.
The sudo I put in front because you probably need that right for this action, I can't test it here.
If it's a system startup item then the sudo is probably not necessary, because root does its thing then.
But you can try without sudo, because now you have to type your password for the action to take place.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

I ran those 2 commands in a terminal, and after I supplied my password, they stopped Bluetooth. I added a Startup item with those 2 commands, and rebooted. On restart, unfortunately Bluetooth came up active. It looked (from the other Startup items there) as if Startup items maybe needed to be a single command, so I created a script file consisting of these 2 commands, and made the script file executable. I executed the script file and after I supplied my password, it stopped Bluetooth. So I edited the Startup item I'd created and pointed it at the script file instead of the 2 commands. I then rebooted, but, sadly, Bluetooth came up active on the restart

Ron
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kalyk »

When you search in Google

disable bluetooth site:forums.linuxmint.com
then you get a lot.

Or perhaps the rfkill-command can be put at the end of /etc/rc.local .

Another interesting link http://namhuy.net/1397/disable-bluetoot ... -mint.html
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

Thanks for that, I will investigate further.

I know can disable Bluetooth after bootup is complete. I am aware I can change a system script to disable Bluetooth, but I would like, if possible, to do it by adding a suitable item to the Startup Programs/GUI that I access via System Settings. I prefer to leave system scripts alone, as it's not unknown for them to be changed in a system update - in which case user modifications can be lost.

Ron
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kalyk »

I think rc.local is sortof your own thing, I also put things in there in the past and never had the problem, that anything overruled that.
But if a solution works for you then it should be fine.
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

Well, if rc.local is a 'user' thing then that's what I'll use. Life is a learning experience :-)
| and, by modifying rc.local, and rebooting, Bluetooth is indeed disabled.
| Many thanks

At a slight tangent, where, if anywhere, are the results of executing System Settings-Startup Programs logged, especially ones added or modified by a user ? I've looked at the various files in /var/log and can't find any sign of results in any of them. It'd be helpful sometimes when expected results don't eventuate.

Ron
DavidCBillen

Post by DavidCBillen »

Kalyk wrote:When you search in Google

disable bluetooth site:forums.linuxmint.com
then you get a lot.

Or perhaps the rfkill-command can be put at the end of /etc/rc.local .

Another interesting link http://namhuy.net/1397/disable-bluetoot ... -mint.html
Their procedure worked for me, but heads up: I blindly (and stupidly) typed their command to remove all the bluetooth services into my console and it removed cinnamon!

Return to “LMDE Archive”