Download DRM ebooks ? [SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Download DRM ebooks ? [SOLVED]

Post by ron_h »

LMDE 201403 Cinnamon 64bit

One thing I do on Windows I can't yet do is download and read DRM protected ebooks from my public library on my LMDE PC.

I know in order to read DRM protected ePub format ebooks on a PC, I need Adobe Digital Editions (ADE). I have successfully (I think) installed the Windows version of ADE on LMDE by using WINE. The public library uses 2 different eBook services one from an outfit called Bolinda and one from an outfit called Overdrive. In each case I sign in to the ebook service using a browser, select an ebook, say I want to Borrow then click on Download. When I do this on a Windows PC, the Download function connects to ADE and the download happens straight into the ADE 'library'. When I do this on LMDE, I have not been able to get the Download function to connect to ADE. Can anyone please advise how to make it work ?

Please note in this case I do not want to read downloaded ebooks on another device, just on the PC.

I do have an Android tablet, and if I want to read such ebooks on that I use the browser on the tablet to connect to the public library and can download ebooks just fine to read with an ebook reader app on the tablet. No PC involved.

Ron
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Download DRM ebooks ?

Post by Pierre »

Adobe products are notoriously difficult to get to work with Linux.

however ADE 1.7.2 does work with Crossover, - which is the commercial version of Wine:
https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibili ... ;details=1

so, which version are you running?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

Sorry, I should have posted that. After looking at cautions already in the forums about ADE, I downloaded ADE version 1.7.2. I installed it using PlayOnLinux as the frontend to WINE, both installed by using the Synaptic Package Manager. I have verified the installed ADE is functioning, that is I can use it to read an ePub book that I copied across from the Windows PC.

Ron
ron_h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ron_h »

I did some more searching around on the net, and decided that I needed to be using a Windows browser (rather than a Linux browser as I was doing) to connect to my public library. So I downloaded Firefox for Windows, and installed it using PlayonLinux as the frontend for WINE. I then went to my public library, signed in and borrowed a book. When I clicked on Download, I had to set up the ADE I'd installed as the target for the control file that the Download sets up. That done, and aftyer authorising ADE with my Adobe ID and password, the book downloaded just fine. I am now reading it using ADE.

Ron

Return to “LMDE Archive”