LMDE and updates

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

LMDE and updates

Postby palimmo on Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:04 pm

Hi.
I run on this laptop LMDE (my first choice) alongside SolydK.

In the last weeks I got several updates in SolydK (for example Firefox 29.0.1) and other security updates (and I mean 'normal' updates, no UP).
None of these in LMDE. I have still Firefox 29.0 and no updates in the last... 2 weeks.

Is it normal or should I be worried?

Thanks in advance!
LMDE 64bit Cinnamon & SolydK 64bit
palimmo
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LMDE and updates

Postby killer de bug on Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:06 am

yes it's 'normal'. That's the way LMDE works. You like it or not, that's how it's work :)
This has been answered so many time I lost the count... This is one the reason who could make LMDE following Debian Stable in the future. :wink:
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. [Isaac Newton]
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7

Postby halogen on Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:33 am

This question has probably been asked before, but I searched and couldn't find an answer so I'm going to post it...

Basically I'd like to know if there is an "official" schedule for when LMDE Update Packs are released. And if there is an estimated release date for UP9.

Thanks.
halogen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kurotsugi on Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:41 am

the rumor said that it should enter testing on this month but overall LMDE doesn't have a fixed schedule for UP. no one could predict when next UP will comes.
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5

Postby killer de bug on Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:41 pm

halogen wrote:Basically I'd like to know if there is an "official" schedule for when LMDE Update Packs are released. And if there is an estimated release date for UP9.

Don't hold your breath :lol:
Honestly, I'm pretty sure it will not enter testing this month. Linux Mint 17 XFCE and KDE need to be released before this. For now, RC iso did not enter Q&A. And the team may want some days off before UP9 :)
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. [Isaac Newton]
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7

Postby palimmo on Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:55 pm

killer de bug wrote: This is one the reason who could make LMDE following Debian Stable in the future. :wink:

oh, that's really interesting.
Where can I read more on this topic?
LMDE 64bit Cinnamon & SolydK 64bit
palimmo
Level 3
Level 3

Postby killer de bug on Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:23 pm

Start with this...
viewtopic.php?f=201&t=162631#p863450

It's not official hein ;)
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7

Postby gpe on Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:57 pm

killer de bug wrote:yes it's 'normal'. That's the way LMDE works. You like it or not, that's how it's work :)
This has been answered so many time I lost the count... This is one the reason who could make LMDE following Debian Stable in the future. :wink:

I don't know how you can do a rolling release distribution based on debian stable ?
gpe
Level 1
Level 1

Postby killer de bug on Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:22 pm

gpe wrote:
killer de bug wrote:yes it's 'normal'. That's the way LMDE works. You like it or not, that's how it's work :)

I don't know how you can do a rolling release distribution based on debian stable ?

It rolls...every 2 years or so...
Seriously is LMDE a rolling release? :lol:
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7

Postby gpe on Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:50 pm

killer de bug wrote:
gpe wrote:

It rolls...every 2 years or so...
Seriously is LMDE a rolling release? :lol:

It's presented as ...
But I don't know I'm a new user. I'm interested in LMDE because it was presented as a rolling release. But it seems that it's not the case.
Is security managed in LMDE ?
gpe
Level 1
Level 1

Postby killer de bug on Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:13 pm

gpe wrote:Is security managed in LMDE ?

If you mean security fix, then it's no! We got some fixes for very important matter. But for some common security fixes you could expect with Ubuntu or Debian stable, we don't have them in LMDE :)
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7

Postby gpe on Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:26 pm

killer de bug wrote:
gpe wrote:Is security managed in LMDE ?

If you mean security fix, then it's no! We got some fixes for very important matter. But for some common security fixes you could expect with Ubuntu or Debian stable, we don't have them in LMDE :)

But security is managed in Debian testing so why not in LMDE ?
gpe
Level 1
Level 1

Postby killer de bug on Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:55 am

gpe wrote:But security is managed in Debian testing so why not in LMDE ?

No it's not.
Security is managed in Stable and in Sid when new packages are added. Then it comes to testing (more or less quickly). And LMDE is a frozen snapshot of Testing. Basically all the packages who entered Testing after the 1st of February are not in LMDE (except the openssl bug fix).
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7

Postby kurotsugi on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:25 am

It's presented as ...
But I don't know I'm a new user. I'm interested in LMDE because it was presented as a rolling release. But it seems that it's not the case.

LMDE is using UP, hence it's called semi rolling release distro. it's different with a fully rolling release distro such as arch, siduction, or opensuse's tumbleweed. the definition becomes blurry because the the period between UP's can take up to 8 month to get released but it is still a semi rolling release distro.
Is security managed in LMDE ?

security updates on LMDE only comes on request or whenever it considered as a extremely dangerous threat. on this UP period LMDE only have 1 security updates, the famous heartbleed one. if you care about your system's security you might take a look into manjaro or solydxk. they're both using semi rolling release distro but they manage the security stuff.
Security is managed in Stable and in Sid when new packages are added. Then it comes to testing (more or less quickly). And LMDE is a frozen snapshot of Testing. Basically all the packages who entered Testing after the 1st of February are not in LMDE (except the openssl bug fix).

nope. AFAIK debian testing got their security updates managed. they put the package on sid at first since they want to make sure the security update isn't breaking anything. a security updates have very high migration priority and it will migrate to testing in one or two days. as a prove, debian testing have separated security repo. at this time, this repo isn't used since using sid is considered safer but it will be used again when testing enter frozen period and security updates can't go through sid.
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5

Postby halogen on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:27 am

gpe wrote:It's presented as ...

I thought LMDE would have been my distro of choice because I love both Debian and Cinnamon. Too bad LMDE is more akin to Debian stable than testing or unstable. So it doesn't follow the rolling release model.

Today I've finally found a solution. Although I'm an experienced Debian user, I moved to Manjaro Linux: it's really fast, it's a rolling release distro, packages are up-to-date (unlike Debian), and you can choose the community edition which includes the latest Cinnamon 2.2 pre-installed :D
halogen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kurotsugi on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:47 am

you can also using debian testing or a distro based on testing then install cinnamon from LMDE's repo :3
it works but it doesn't work as good as LMDE due to several things.
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5

Postby killer de bug on Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:10 pm

kurotsugi wrote:security updates on LMDE only comes on request or whenever it considered as a extremely dangerous threat. on this UP period LMDE only have 1 security updates, the famous heartbleed one.

IIRC we got a second one. But the point is that only really important security fixes are backported to LMDE.

kurotsugi wrote:you can also using debian testing or a distro based on testing then install cinnamon from LMDE's repo
it works but it doesn't work as good as LMDE due to several things.

If you do this today it doesn't work. Testing has broken Cinnamon a few months ago IIRC.

kurotsugi wrote::3

:roll:
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7

Postby py-thon on Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:53 am

killer de bug wrote:But the point is that only really important security fixes are backported to LMDE.

Probably we could fill a whole multi-page thread just discussing what should be considered "really important".

The lag in response to security issues is really annoying in LMDE and every now and then makes me think about changing distro. Judging from previous situations current security issues concerning gnutls and openssl probably won't be fixed until UP9.

Of course there are people who will argue that most security issues do not affect the average user. But most is not all and it is annoying that each and every user has to keep himself well informed because LMDE-repos in this respect can't be relied upon.
Tower: LMDE Mate 64bit - Netbook: LMDE Mate 32bit
py-thon
Level 4
Level 4

Postby killer de bug on Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:27 pm

py-thon wrote:The lag in response to security issues is really annoying in LMDE and every now and then makes me think about changing distro. Judging from previous situations current security issues concerning gnutls and openssl probably won't be fixed until UP9.

If security is what matter the most for you, I tell you something I already told you, LMDE is not the best distro for you. And Debian Testing is not a good choice either!

Feel free to report the packages we should upgrade to the team. Or upgrade them using testing... :wink:
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7

Postby woodsman on Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:18 pm

I appreciate the "manpower" argument because I work with another project with a small developer staff. That said, I admit discomfort that LMDE does not receive better attention. Not trying to start a flame war, but the SolydX folks have committed to a quarterly update pack schedule. Would be nice if LMDE could do likewise. :)

I too am hoping the new Mint LTS policy will improve the attention LMDE receives, although some have posted that is unlikely to happen.
woodsman
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Newbie Questions