Rolling and Point

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Rolling and Point

Postby AlanWalker on Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:46 pm

I'm trying to get a handle on the differences a rolling-release and a point-release; while the difference would seem to be obvious I've come to these questions: isn't someone who's following/running Debian's Sid actually engaged in something of a "rolling release", and are those who follow/run Debian's Testing actually using a semi-rolling release and, finally, in Debian, is or is not Stable the only point-release (excluding backports)?

TIA
AlanWalker
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Rolling and Point

Postby wayne128 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:14 am

AlanWalker wrote:isn't someone who's following/running Debian's Sid actually engaged in something of a "rolling release",

I know my Debian xfce sid is rolling.. for a long time.
:lol:
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Postby AlanWalker on Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:50 am

wayne128 wrote:
AlanWalker wrote:isn't someone who's following/running Debian's Sid actually engaged in something of a "rolling release",

I know my Debian xfce sid is rolling.. for a long time.
:lol:

No breaks? :)
AlanWalker
Level 4
Level 4

Postby kurotsugi on Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:09 am

isn't someone who's following/running Debian's Sid actually engaged in something of a "rolling release", and are those who follow/run Debian's Testing actually using a semi-rolling release and, finally, in Debian, is or is not Stable the only point-release (excluding backports)?

sid is rolling. testing is also rolling but it has slower pace than debian sid. it also lots more stable than sid. as for the final question, no. debian have stable and old-stable. the old stable still get support for debian.
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5

Postby AlanWalker on Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:36 am

kurotsugi wrote:
isn't someone who's following/running Debian's Sid actually engaged in something of a "rolling release", and are those who follow/run Debian's Testing actually using a semi-rolling release and, finally, in Debian, is or is not Stable the only point-release (excluding backports)?

sid is rolling. testing is also rolling but it has slower pace than debian sid. it also lots more stable than sid. as for the final question, no. debian have stable and old-stable. the old stable still get support for debian.

Clear answer, thank you.
AlanWalker
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions