Printing PDF, how to print Current View only ?[SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Printing PDF, how to print Current View only ?[SOLVED]

Postby ron_h on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:13 pm

LMDE 201403 Cinnamon 64bit (switching from Win XP)

In Adobe Acrobat Reader on Win XP, it is possible to zoom in and out when viewing a PDF, and then to print the Current View only - that is the zoomed area only. I use that quite a lot.

In the Document Viewer app that comes with LMDE 201403 Cinnamon I can view a PDF and Zoom in and Zoom out just fine, but I can't find a way to print the Zoomed View, when I look at the Print Preview it always shows the complete page.

Is there a way with Document Viewer app to print the zoomed view only ? If not, is there another app which can open PDFs, zoom to part of a page, and print zoomed view only ?

Ron
Last edited by ron_h on Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ron_h
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Printing PDF, how to print Current View only ?

Postby kc1di on Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:53 am

Hi Ron,

Sorry can't find how to do exactly what you want, But with Okular , Which is KDE's PDF reader. (But will work well on Cinnamon,XFCE or Mate as well) (You can install it from synpatic if you want.)
There is a tool under the tools menu called selection tool , that you can highlight a portion of a document and copy it to clipboard, then paste it into any text editor and print just that portion from there. I paste it to libreoffice and it prints fine. Not exactly as easy as what your talking about but an acceptable work around for me.
John 3:16
Morse code an Early
Digital Mode
Registered Linux User #462608
kc1di
Level 6
Level 6

Postby ron_h on Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:57 am

As you say, an acceptable workaround, well worth a try.

I installed Okular through Synaptic Package Manager, however surprisingly it did not appear on my Cinnamon menu. I opened the menu editor, and there it was in the Office sub menu but the select button was not checked to make it visible ! I made it visible.

I like the Okular selective view/clipboard function, and I've not used Document Viewer enough to become attached to it :-). Is there a way to make Okular the default document viewer on my system ? (I know how to do that in Windows but not in Linux Mint.)

Ron
ron_h
Level 3
Level 3

Postby kc1di on Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:09 am

ron_h wrote:As you say, an acceptable workaround, well worth a try.

I installed Okular through Synaptic Package Manager, however surprisingly it did not appear on my Cinnamon menu. I opened the menu editor, and there it was in the Office sub menu but the select button was not checked to make it visible ! I made it visible.

I like the Okular selective view/clipboard function, and I've not used Document Viewer enough to become attached to it :-). Is there a way to make Okular the default document viewer on my system ? (I know how to do that in Windows but not in Linux Mint.)

Ron

Hi again Ron,
yes go to any pdf file right click on it an there should be a tab that says something like open with :) I'm not using cinnamon so it may be different in that version.
good luck.
Morse code an Early
Digital Mode
kc1di
Level 6
Level 6

Postby ron_h on Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:17 pm

Thanks again.

UPDATE : I've started a new thread on how to change default PDF file viewer

Ron

PS I used Okular + LO Writer this morning and the result is better than I could do in Win XP as I can zoom to different levels for individual parts of the doc I want to print and copy/paste accordingly, in XP/Adobe Acrobat Reader I can only print the current view where everything in it zoomed to the same level.

So Many Thanks Again for what is more than an acceptable alternative, it is a better solution !
ron_h
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Printing PDF, how to print Current View only ?[SOLVED]

Postby kc1di on Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:08 am

Your Welcome, Enjoy ;)
Morse code an Early
Digital Mode
kc1di
Level 6