Gedit in terminal gives error messages [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Gedit in terminal gives error messages [SOLVED]

Postby ron_h on Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:18 am

LMDE 201403 Cinnamon 64bit

When I invoke gedit in a terminal, I get error messages, and I don't like error messages. As best I can see, the gedit session updates the files concerned. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the error messages ?

Code: Select all
sudo gedit -some system file -
[sudo] password for ron:

** (gedit:6816): WARNING **: Could not load Gedit repository: Typelib file for namespace 'GtkSource', version '3.0' not found

(gedit:6816): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(gedit:6816): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

Ron
Last edited by ron_h on Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ron_h
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Gedit in terminal gives error messages

Postby Monsta on Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:28 am

The main purpose of GTK's warning and error messages is to irritate people who don't like any warnings.
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Gedit in terminal gives error messages

Postby ron_h on Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:47 am

Then GTK was successful.

I will try to be calm when I next see such messages. However the old story of the boy crying 'Wolf' comes to mind, and I hope I don't ignore real, meaningful error messages :-(

Ron
ron_h
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions