cannot play video files (split TV recordings)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

cannot play video files (split TV recordings)

Postby mcarni on Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:24 pm

Guys,

i recently installed the latest Cinnamon release (LMDE 201403) on my mum's computer and I have a problem with the output of her TV recording.

The TV topbox automatically splits files (depending on size), the output files are 000.mpg, 001.mpg etc
While I can play the first file (000.mpg), neither vlc nor totem can play the following files 001.mpg, 002.mpg etc.
Vlc shows the playlist window but even if I right click on the file it doesn't play it
Totem complains that the "stream" is not recognised.

Since I initially believed it was an issue with VLC I posted also on their forum (hope this is not an issue...)
See link below for medianfo of files
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=120069&p=406046#p406046

if I cat the split files into one singe file, the resulting single file is playable (at least with vlc) and it has the proper length.

Is there anyone that help me with this issue?

thanks a lot

M
mcarni
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions