How do I prevent Mint from ever installing certain packages?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

How do I prevent Mint from ever installing certain packages?

Postby Mir on Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:52 pm

I never want to use gnome, mate, or systemd again. I understand that I can ignore certain packages in mint-update. Will this prevent them from ever being installed?

How do I prevent these things from ever being installed, and remove them and everything which uses them as a dependency from both mint-update and mint-install?

Once I download KDE, how do I switch everything over to use KDE? Are there configuration files somewhere that allow me to select the programs and daemons that do certain things? For example, how do I select the default file manager, and the file manager which will appear as my desktop? How do I select the applets that monitor my power usage and the system-daemon?

This is probably way over my head, but how do I make an image of my newly configured installation so that I can share it with other people?
Mir
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How do I prevent Mint from ever installing certain packa

Postby killer de bug on Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:21 am

For you the best solution will be to use SolyDK.

But if you really want a LMDE KDE version, you should probably apt pin Gnome packages to a very old version so that it don't install new ones. Systemd will be used in Debian in the future, so I don't see the point of avoiding it... :wink:
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. [Isaac Newton]
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Newbie Questions