Save file from browser doesn't show Network in Places/SOLVED

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Save file from browser doesn't show Network in Places/SOLVED

Postby thelma on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:10 pm

Hello,
I can share folders with Win7 machine through samba; reading and writing features are running smooth from both boxes.
Caja 1.6.2 shows "Browse Network" and with a click there Linux Mint and Win7 folders are displayed. So far so good.
My problem is when I want to save a file from Gmail directly to my Win7, "Save file" box does not show Network under Places.
What should I do? I read an article here about mapping the Win drive, /run/user/gvfs, mounting.
Is this what I should do?

Thank you.
Thelma
Last edited by thelma on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
thelma
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Network is not under Places when saving files - LMDE

Postby altair4 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:38 am

There is no "Browse Network" in the "Save File" utility so it's a two step process:

[1] Connect to the remote share through Caja.
[2] Then access the mount point ( /run/user/1000/gvfs/something ).

*** You can automate the samba share connection a number of ways but if you are otherwise happy with the way the caja method works I would suggest Gigolo.

*** As for the mount point you should be able to within the "Save File" dialog go to: File System > run > user > $UID > and drag the gvfs box to the left side panel which makes a link to all gvfs remote share mount points.

Note: $UID is whatever your own uid number is. For most folks that's 1000.

There is another way that admittedly is a little more involved that will auto mount the share and put the mount point anywhere you want: AutoFS
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Save file from browser doesn't show Network under Places

Postby thelma on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:10 pm

Hi Altair,
Thank you for your professional way you answer questions and solve problems in this forum. I used Gigolo per your instructions and was able to mount the main folder in Win7, so now I can save the files directly on that machine.

Cheers from Brazil,
Thelma
thelma
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions