Preferred way to install a deb package ? [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Preferred way to install a deb package ? [SOLVED]

Postby ron_h on Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:38 am

LMDE Cinnamon 201403 64bit

For some apps, I've downloaded the latest versions as deb files rather than using the versions in the repositories. What I'm in the habit of doing then is navigating to the deb file and double clicking it, which invokes the Gdebi Package Installer. I've noticed some posts in these forums specify starting the Gdebi Package installer then navigating to the deb file and selecting it. Is there a preferred method, or is it just a matter of habit or taste ?

I tend to navigate to all sorts of files and double click, to invoke whatever is the default file handler, by the way.

Ron
Last edited by ron_h on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ron_h
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Preferred way to install a deb package ?

Postby austin.texas on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:27 am

ron_h wrote: Is there a preferred method, or is it just a matter of habit or taste ?

It is a matter of habit.
There is no technical reason to chose one over the other.
Mint 17 v2 Cinnamon (64 bit), Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996

To help Linux Mint with a donation, please visit http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php
austin.texas
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Preferred way to install a deb package ?

Postby ron_h on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:48 am

Many thanks

Ron
ron_h
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions