'fix' Virtualbox vboxdrv every time I boot Mint [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

'fix' Virtualbox vboxdrv every time I boot Mint [SOLVED]

Postby ron_h on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:55 pm

LMDE Cinnamon 201403 64bit

I have installed Virtualbox 4.3.12 downloaded from Oracle. When I tried to install Win XP in a VM, I got an error and had to run the command
Code: Select all
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

So I did, and all was well, I installed and then used Win XP.

However next time I booted up LMDE, and went to run the Win XP VM, I got same error and had to rerun the command. I've now found it happens every time I boot LMDE and go to use the Win XP VM. Closing Virtualbox and restarting it, does not cause the error.

Is there a (relatively) permanent way I can fix this once-and-for-all (subject to later updates, I accept) ? I mean apart from making sure the command runs every time I boot up LMDE - I can just run it, or make a startup script or modify rc.local, but these are far from elegant solutions.

Ron
Last edited by ron_h on Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
ron_h
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: 'fix' Virtualbox vboxdrv every time I boot Mint

Postby ron_h on Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:04 pm

ron_h
Level 3
Level 3

Re: 'fix' Virtualbox vboxdrv every time I boot Mint [SOLVED]

Postby ron_h on Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:22 am

If the gnome-system-tools package is installed, then the vboxdrv service can be turned on in services-admin tool.

Ron
ron_h
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions