No Transparency Option in Profile Preferences

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

No Transparency Option in Profile Preferences

Postby vvarlock on Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:17 am

Hello,

I'm new to linux mint debian edition, but not to debian. After installing the OS I noticed that I couldn't set the transparency option for the terminal. The tab that usually gives you the option simply wasn't there. I figured it was because it wasn't supported without my graphics drivers installed but the option still isn't there. Is there a supported feature in LMDE?

Info
CPU: Intel Core i7
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670m

Let me know if any other info is needed. Thank you.
vvarlock
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: No Transparency Option in Profile Preferences

Postby Monsta on Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:51 am

Oh, you have Cinnamon, I presume? Gnome developers removed this feature from gnome-terminal in version 3.8 IIRC.
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Postby rck2 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:45 am

No joke, have you found a work around to this issue?
rck2
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Monsta on Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:02 am

How do you work around a removed feature? No way. You can only install the earlier version from snapshot.debian.org - and that's only if there won't be any problem with the dependencies.
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Postby vvarlock on Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:09 am

Yes, I'm using cinnamon.

If it's a feature that's no longer supported, can I get the effect another way?
vvarlock
Level 1
Level 1

Postby vvarlock on Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:53 am

This isn't really a solution, but I decided to switch from cinnamon to MATE. So far I like it a lot. It seems less buggy and I get my transparent terminals back.

I do a lot of programming and am usually toggling between the terminal and an IDE or browser. This workflow has become very useful for me. Even when I'm forced to work in a Windows environment I'll use cygwin with mintty to get the same effect.

MATE FTW
vvarlock
Level 1
Level 1

Postby killer de bug on Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:13 am

With the new Cinnamon 2.2, you can make a window transparent by using your mouse wheel.

Window opacity

You can now shade windows or change their opacity by using your mouse wheel on their titlebar. A quick roll of the mouse wheel makes your window semi-transparent so you can see what’s happening underneath without the need to tile things or to use Alt-tab. This option is available in the “Windows” module.

Problem: we don't have Cinnamon 2.2 in LMDE for now. But normally it will come this summer. :)
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. [Isaac Newton]
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7

Postby karlchen on Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:23 am

Note: Turned MrBob22's question into a dedicated thread: How do you switch from Cinnamon to Mate.
karlchen
Level 11
Level 11

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions