No Transparency Option in Profile Preferences

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
vvarlock

No Transparency Option in Profile Preferences

Post by vvarlock »

Hello,

I'm new to linux mint debian edition, but not to debian. After installing the OS I noticed that I couldn't set the transparency option for the terminal. The tab that usually gives you the option simply wasn't there. I figured it was because it wasn't supported without my graphics drivers installed but the option still isn't there. Is there a supported feature in LMDE?

Info
CPU: Intel Core i7
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670m

Let me know if any other info is needed. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: No Transparency Option in Profile Preferences

Post by Monsta »

Oh, you have Cinnamon, I presume? Gnome developers removed this feature from gnome-terminal in version 3.8 IIRC.
rck2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rck2 »

No joke, have you found a work around to this issue?
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

How do you work around a removed feature? No way. You can only install the earlier version from snapshot.debian.org - and that's only if there won't be any problem with the dependencies.
vvarlock

Post by vvarlock »

Yes, I'm using cinnamon.

If it's a feature that's no longer supported, can I get the effect another way?
vvarlock

Post by vvarlock »

This isn't really a solution, but I decided to switch from cinnamon to MATE. So far I like it a lot. It seems less buggy and I get my transparent terminals back.

I do a lot of programming and am usually toggling between the terminal and an IDE or browser. This workflow has become very useful for me. Even when I'm forced to work in a Windows environment I'll use cygwin with mintty to get the same effect.

MATE FTW
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

With the new Cinnamon 2.2, you can make a window transparent by using your mouse wheel.
Window opacity

You can now shade windows or change their opacity by using your mouse wheel on their titlebar. A quick roll of the mouse wheel makes your window semi-transparent so you can see what’s happening underneath without the need to tile things or to use Alt-tab. This option is available in the “Windows” module.
Problem: we don't have Cinnamon 2.2 in LMDE for now. But normally it will come this summer. :)
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Note: Turned MrBob22's question into a dedicated thread: How do you switch from Cinnamon to Mate.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
wsp-1

Post by wsp-1 »

Monsta wrote:How do you work around a removed feature? No way. You can only install the earlier version from snapshot.debian.org - and that's only if there won't be any problem with the dependencies.
@vvarlock, I was feelin' the same way; how ever I do like my Cinnamon (LMDE). And decided to follow-up on Monstra' advice and degrade my current Gnome Terminal 3.8.11 install. So, here my "work-around" 2 cent 'solution'.

:idea: If I am not mistaken, Trusty Thar, the latest LTS version of the Ubuntu camp shipped their Unity Desktop with Gnome Terminal 3.6.x, hence I downloaded it from the gnome-terminal_3.6.1-1 don't forget to download the additional '-data.deb' aswell! (at the bottom)

I used Synaptic Package Manager to remove 'new' gnome-terminal package. Installed ROXterm, while I was at it, to give me an alternative graphical terminal to work with in my Cinnamon session.

There I issued the following without error:

Code: Select all

cd ./Downloads
sudo dkpg -i gnome-terminal*.deb
I'll mostlikely remove the ROXTerm eventually. Hope it helps anyone else that really misses the background transparency :D .
jonnymopar

Post by jonnymopar »

I'm also using Cinnamon and I also don't like the fact that they removed that option.

I removed gnome-terminal and started using xfce4-terminal instead. It's VERY similar in function, plus it has the option for transparency. So far it seems to work great. I even changed the Ctrl+Alt+T shortcut so it loads the same way gnome-terminal always did. I basically just followed this: http://howto8165.wordpress.com/2014/08/ ... nsparency/

Return to “LMDE Archive”