Trying to play Rome 2:Total War in LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
CJ in a Jeep
Level 2
Level 2

Trying to play Rome 2:Total War in LMDE

Post by CJ in a Jeep »

Hello,
I am very new to the Linux world and would like some help playing "Total War's" Rome 2 game using LMDE. I've done some searching and have found some information on using old versions of Linux Mint but none that really explain finding and installing the appropriate software (whether it is Play on Linux or Wine or something else) in LMDE.
I am using Linux Mint Debian edition (64 bit) and the Cinnamon desktop from the "linuxmint-201403-cinnamon-dvd-64bit.iso".
Here are the results of my inxi command:
CPU~Quad core Intel Core i7 CPU 920 (-HT-MCP-) clocked at Min:1600.000Mhz Max:2668.000Mhz Kernel~3.11-2-amd64 x86_64 Up~17:16 Mem~1178.2/12036.8MB HDD~3210.7GB(12.2% used) Procs~200 Client~Shell inxi~1.9.14.
Thanks for your time.
- CJ
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PC: Home Made
Mobo: ASUS Z97-E/LGA 1150
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB FTW
RAM: 32GB G Skill Aegis
PSU: Corsair 750W
A few 1 & 2TB SSDs
Dual Boot Win 10 & LM21.1
computer noob

Re: Trying to play Rome 2:Total War in LMDE

Post by computer noob »

You can find the Wine page on the game here:https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=15476. How did you get this game? The Wine page was talking about a Steam version... Did you just download a file that was a Windows .exe, or is it on your Steam account, or what? Sorry if that seems unclear, I don't do too much gaming myself and I'm not that familiar with Steam.
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

Unless it has changed recently the old advice was that Linux isn't really designed for game playing and that keeping your game playing on a Windows machine was better.

Although a limited amount of Windows programs can be run on Wine this is not an ideal environment and you should not expect to use it for game playing.
nevart1

Post by nevart1 »

If that was "the old advice" then the old advice really wasn't very good. Linux is an ideal platform for games and probably even better than Windows. The problem is not that Linux is not good enough, or "not designed for games because it is some kind of super-serious business system", but because not enough game developers support the OpenGL standard even though in some ways it is superior to DirectX. The reason is, as usual, because of hardware manufacturers being bent over by Microsoft and given a good seeing-to. There are plenty of good OpenGL games out there, but not many commercial ones. WarZone2100 is a fine exception to the rule.

I agree that running through WINE seems to be not very successful a lot of the time, but it's because of that unfortunate fact that most software companies don't support Linux, not that Linux does not support most software. Some games such as Quake and Unreal were even developed in Linux but then sold only for Windows when they went into production.

The Unreal Engine has great support for Linux developers. We all should be doing something to create more Linux games even if it is just princess about how there are not enough Linux games! We all can play a part in shaping the future!!!

Return to “LMDE Archive”