SOLVED Installing LMDE without losing other OS

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jollyjack
Level 4
Level 4

SOLVED Installing LMDE without losing other OS

Post by jollyjack »

I'm a Kubuntu user, with W7 as a dual boot. I've also installed LM Cinnamon 17, alongside, to play with.

So far so good.

I want to play with LMDE as well, but when i went to install it on a spare partition, it seemed to give me the choice of (A) automatic installation which would wipe everything and install LMDE only, or (B) install manually alongside existing OS, but I would have to edit various files and install my own version of GRUB, etc. This is way beyond my abilities, so I gave up at that point.

Is it possible to do a semi-automatic install? IE, I choose the partition I want to use, define it as /, and LMDE installs itself, plus gives me a new version of GRUB with all my other OS still available?

Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: Installing LMDE without losing other OS

Post by Mute Ant »

LMDE is a total sweetheart to install manually, exactly where you want it, without a boot loader if you already have one. From the Live LMDE session, use gparted to prepare a partition, format it ext4, and note the /dev/sdX identity. Then close gparted and in a terminal do...

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir /target
sudo mount /dev/sdX /target
...and that's it. Run manual-install option and it will install a runnable version for you in that partition.
EDIT Near the end of the install it asks you to edit fstab, just continue without, linux is happy with an empty /etc/fstab if the whole OS is in a single partition. If you want LMDE grub to be in charge, accept the boot loader. I would leave it out myself. When you reboot into your previous Mint, just do...

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
...to include LMDE in the list of OS available.
Last edited by Mute Ant on Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jollyjack
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jollyjack »

Ah, just what I wanted to hear.

I'll try it tomorrow (let's say, a steadier hand...)

Cheers
jollyjack
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jollyjack »

Mute Ant, you are a gentleman! It went like a dream, exactly as you said.

There is, however, a slight "problem" (though I can live with it if necessary). When I boot LMDE, I get several pages of CL commands rolling up the screen, before I get to the login screen - it's like starting Clonezilla or Gparted. I don't think this is right? Can I stop this happening, or hide it?

Cheers
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

jollyjack wrote: When I boot LMDE, I get several pages of CL commands rolling up the screen, before I get to the login screen - it's like starting Clonezilla or Gparted. I don't think this is right? Can I stop this happening, or hide it?
This is the normal boot sequence of LMDE and it's totally normal.
This said, you can install plymouth if you want to hide it behind a Linux Mint logo :wink:
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

You are seeing the output of scripts starting up, they all do it, just it's normally hidden behind a splash-screen. The idea is, if a startup process goes wrong, you can see which one from the screen. I would leave perfect for another day. Just nod and frown as they go past, maybe?
jollyjack
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jollyjack »

Ah, OK, now I know.

If it's normal, I'll stick with it.

Thanks again
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

jollyjack wrote: If it's normal, I'll stick with it.
Like Mute Ant said, it's helpful to see if everything goes as expected. Especially after some upgrades :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”